I recently purcased 5 acres of land in NM located SW of Datil, has anybody hunted unit 15 for elk or mulies and had any luck? Also does anybody have any tricks to get around the residency requirements since I own the land but don't live there?

post-4190-1265684272_thumb.jpg

I recently purcased 5 acres of land in NM located SW of Datil, has anybody hunted unit 15 for elk or mulies and had any luck? Also does anybody have any tricks to get around the residency requirements since I own the land but don't live there?

Congrats on buying some beautiful country. I'm thinking that you don't reside in NM. To come on here and basically ask... Anyone know how I can cheat legal law abiding sportsman, and illegally get a resident license. Strikes me as pretty lame. Yes you purchased land here, and pay property taxes, but you state yourself "don't live there". :huh:

Page 8 from the Regulations:

" A New Mexico Resident Is:

1. A United States citizen who, for a period of not less than 90 days immediately preceding the date of application for the license, has been domiciled in New Mexico and does not claim residency elsewhere for any purpose. Temporary or seasonal residents, who maintain a primary residence outside of New Mexico, DO NOT qualify for resident licenses;

2. A citizen of another country who is legally within the United States and has actually lived in New Mexico for 90 days immediately preceding his license application;

3. A student who has attended an educational institution in New Mexico and has actually lived in the state for at least 1 full term immediately preceding license application and who presents, at the time of purchase, a certificate or letter of their enrollment and attendance signed by the proper authorities of such institution;

4. A member of the U.S. Armed Forces permanently assigned to a military installation located within New Mexico and who presents with their application, a certificate or letter verifying their military assignment signed by their commanding officer;

5. A member of the U.S. Armed Forces, who presents with their application, a certificate or letter verifying their military assignment signed by their commanding officer, and who is officially stationed at a military reservation located partially in New Mexico and an adjacent state, but only for a special license valid only for hunting and fishing in New Mexico and only on those reservations."

If that wasn't your intention, Welcome to an awesome site. :D

--Bill

Good Luck

I have 13 acres just north of Pie Town, and spend my summers there. I love it there. I plan on moving there in about 5 years. I have been trying to get drawn for Elk in unit 15 and 13 for over 5 years with no luck. I have elk hanging around my place all of the time. I found a nice 5 point shed about thirty yards from my steps.

Maybe I will have better luck when I become a resident.

Dave

I am sure its unit 15 horse peak mountain is my backyard. Thanks for the feed back I guess I'll take out some loans for these non-res tags. :lol: