Sign in to follow this  
azbwhntr

No CLUE!!!!

:blink: Well im farely new to the forum, but I had a question that maybe everyone can help me with. Myself, my brother, and a friend want to start predator hunting, but we have no clue on where to start. I guess my question is how does everyone else that predator hunts make it successful? What equipment do you use? What caliber firearms would be an all around gun to use without having to purchase another one. We use .270, .308, and 25-06 for deer hunting. Are these calibers overkill? It sounds like a dumb question to me but we want to do this the right way to make the experience as great as possible, thanks.

Most people have started by getting a mouth call for a birthday present or christmas and going out and blowing it. My dad gave me a circe call for christmas way too many years ago. I kicked around and had many failures before I started to gain some confidence. In the years since I've called a lot of coyotes and quite a few foxes and bobcats. Here are a few things to consider-

1- Predators primary sence is scent followed by sight and hearing. Important!! Most critters will approach from downwind using some form of cover. From my expirence 70% of all responding coyotes will approach from downwind. Hence, when you call try to watch in that direction. Foxes are somewhat different, if heavily called they can be as stealthy as a coyote but most of the time they just bounce in. Bobcats will come from wherever they happen to be and are primarily sight hunters.

2- If calling bobcats movement will tip them off quicker than anything else. I think camo is essential for cats. Coyotes and foxes, not so much. Fancy camo is way down on my priority list.

3- Sounds and making sounds can be a delima for some. I called for years with closed and open reed calls and had huge success with both. If I was just starting out I'd still go buy a couple of calls, 1 good closed reed and a couple of open reed. I like the circe (green body) calls because they are comfortable and easy to blow. I love the Tweety and Psyco Tweety open reed calls for the same reason. I also use a Critter Call Pee Wee or standard to howl. These three calls will imitate all rabbit, some coyote and some bird sounds.

4-Pick a calling location where there's a lot of sign. Coyotes and foxes crap on the roads to mark their territory. Find a lot of little crap piles around and you've found critters. I hate wide open flat country so I don't call it. Some people do with a lot of success. I really like spotty cover to thick cover with good visibility where I can see downwind. Sneak into areas to call without a lot of noise and get comfortable.

I hope this helps. I've taken a lot of people out and I'm sure if you ask around there are people willing to take you out as well. One of the better websites for calling is predatormasters.com.

All of the guns you list will take predators all be it with some fur damage. Your choice if you can live with big holes and flying fur.

• Like 1

First of all let me start by saying I’m no expert, but I have been PR hunting for about 12 years.

I can tell you is there is a bunch of weapons that you can use. What I do is as far as what weapon to use goes something like this what ever big game permit I have for that season that’s my weapon Ill go predator hunting with. IF (big IF) I get drawn for a Bow elk hunt I use my bow its good practice. If I get a turkey tag or going on a bird or duck hunt I use my shot gun, I use my 308 before my Coues hunt comes up again its good practice. I will explain the set up of each weapon. (Since you’re able to PR hunt all year it’s a very good tool).

do not start off on the cheap in the long run and we all do it you will end up spending more money.

So what I recommend you and your pales do is chip in and get a good predator call electronic ( easier and helps you concentrate on the game not the sounds) I use fox pro.

If your using a bow I recommend placing the call about ten yards closer to where you can shoot (bow) use a rangfinder and pick out spots and range up your not going to have time to range up when they come in fast.

shotgun I usually place the call about 40 yards away.

Just like turkey hunting you need to camo up and make a very good fast blind (trees, branches, bushes and what ever you can use that’s around). I say fast because you’re not going to stay in the same spot for more then 20 min at a time.

Try to stay up wind from the call. ITS hard to do because with Predator calling (bow) most likely there going to come around to smell. So one way to help you with that is find an out cropping of boulders and sit under them counseled all the time.

(Don’t move too much these guys see, hear and smell everything)

With my rifle I place the call out about 100 yards if its open and field of view is good. Use your Binos sparingly because these guys move fast. Its all most better to pan the landscape with out them.

If you call for about 20 min and no action Move most likely you have been busted

good luck

• Like 1

You have gotten some good advice. I started for me when i was 16, i went a few times w/ my dad before then. I learned the hard way, trial and error. Tonto shaved years off the learning curve. It took me awhile to notice the things that mattered. Ive never owned an eletronic caller. Everytime i get money saved up for a fox pro i need somethin more important. I would love to have a fox pro scorpion. I use dan thompson calls mostly, they work good for me. Patience is a virtue (that i rarely have). Be persistant, dont give up. If you are getting frustrated the next dog you call in will make you forget all the bad days.

• Like 1

You have gotten some good advice. I started for me when i was 16, i went a few times w/ my dad before then. I learned the hard way, trial and error. Tonto shaved years off the learning curve. It took me awhile to notice the things that mattered. Ive never owned an eletronic caller. Everytime i get money saved up for a fox pro i need somethin more important. I would love to have a fox pro scorpion. I use dan thompson calls mostly, they work good for me. Patience is a virtue (that i rarely have). Be persistant, dont give up. If you are getting frustrated the next dog you call in will make you forget all the bad days.

+1

I've been varmint calling for years and I get out there just about every weekend. I've had some days where I called in critters on just about every stand. I also had plenty of days where I couldnt even buy a critter.Here are some things that have worked for me. First what I like to do is check the weather.Cloudy,overcast days with no wind are the best days to call.If it's really windy then I just rather sleep in.(windy days are never really productive for me.)I like to take long dirt roads whenever I can,this lets you get in more stands and you can put more distance in between stands.Calling in flat desert is good for coyotes and canyons and mountains is good for foxes and bobcats.When you do get somethin comin in WAIT until that varmint is behind a bush or some cover before you pick up your weapon. once he pops out and you got him in your sights....SLAM HIS A**.I would also suggest calling with the sun at your back this lets you get away with a little more movement especially if youre calling with a couple of buddies.These are a few thins that work well for me. There are a lot of good hunters on this forum with really good advice, take a little from the guys who've posted on here and you'll slamming dogs in no time!

• Like 1

:) thnks everyone i greatly appreciate it. All the advice will be put to use. One more question. What do you normally do with the predator after u take it?? cnt wait to get out and try out a little predator management. ;)

A good place to learn the answers to your questions would be to join Phoenix Varmint Callers (PVCI). Meetings are the first Tuesday of the month. Of course, it's the end of the season right now, but there is still a lot to learn by talking to veteran varmint hunters that are on hand. We have guest speakers at most meetings that cover related items of interest. It's a family oreniented club and it's a lot of fun.

Also, the Sept meeting is aimed at teaching novice hunters the ropes. Experts bring in their gear to check out and speakers focus discussions on basic varmint hunting techniques, such as camo, setting up stands, calls/calling, weaponry, tactics, etc. The club hunts are the weekend after the monthly meetings. The first hunt will be in Sept after the novice meeting and is the novice hunt. Each member must have a novice on his team to qualify. It's how I learned and became addicted!

Also there is a novice bootcamp (seminar) in the fall, which is a weekend event held in the field. All aspects of hunting predators will be covered. Feel free to PM me if you want more information.

If you (or anyone else) are interested, the meetings are held at the F.O.P. lodge #2, 12851 N. 19th Ave at 7:00 P.M. first Tuesday of the month. (No cost to attend the meetings).

Couestracker (Tommy Martin)

I'll let you know that I stink at calling coyotes. I have only killed probably a dozen in about 10+ years of calling. Fox are a more my style. They are a lot easier to call though. Find the brushy stuff and look for their poop. Once you find their sign start calling. Most of the time you can get them with a rodent or rabbit distress and you will usually get them coming in within 8 minutes. If you aren't seeing them by then, move on to the next stand. I highly recomend a 12 guage with Turkey loads for fox. Oh yeah, don't use a hand call if your calling with just one or two people. You will have one sneak in on you before you know it. I know one guy who has been bit twice by fox when he was hand calling. Best of luck!

I'll let you know that I stink at calling coyotes. I have only killed probably a dozen in about 10+ years of calling. Fox are a more my style. They are a lot easier to call though. Find the brushy stuff and look for their poop. Once you find their sign start calling. Most of the time you can get them with a rodent or rabbit distress and you will usually get them coming in within 8 minutes. If you aren't seeing them by then, move on to the next stand. I highly recomend a 12 guage with Turkey loads for fox. Oh yeah, don't use a hand call if your calling with just one or two people. You will have one sneak in on you before you know it. I know one guy who has been bit twice by fox when he was hand calling. Best of luck!

LOL

some thing happened to a friend of mine he got bit on the foot funny as heck

I would say that those guns are overkill for predators if you care about preserving the pelt. if you want a good fox gun, the .17 hmr is the best way to go. The .223 and .22-250 are perfect for yotes and a 12 gauge is a great gun for both when they come in close

Some key tips i would add for advice is to never ridge-line yourself when setting up for your stand,always sit quietly for about 10 minutes before you begin calling, and always call in the direction upwind from you. To answer your other question, i usually get my pelts tanned but when i kill my first bobcat i will probably get it full body mounted or made into a rug

How many of our current posters were even members when this thread was started...:)

Good info Brad...

Another thing to ask is, where do you park your vehicle, atv, etc( i try in a low area, kinda hidden if possible) and how far do you walk from the vehicle before making stands and do you drive to your next or do you walk? I drive to most next ones, especially if not successful, maybe a mile or so before trying again. What do you guys do?

Another thing to think about is: Time of day to call. I start in morning like I do deer but not necessarily before first light. I think once its cooled down, you can go anytime and be succesful. I agree with, I dont call in the wind. I hate windy days for anything. So do it and make it work though.