Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

Any older bow shooters?

I was just curious to see how many Coues hunters shoot older bows or has everyone but me joined in on the Mathews bandwagon. I've shot an Oneida Strike Eagle for years and love it. I know it's a much longer bow than what is out there but I'm an instinctive shooter and the Oneidas are very forgiving when shooting fingers. I was thinking about getting the Oneida Black Eagle cause it's shorter and faster, but why give up what already works. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways.

Josh Epperson

My two hunting bows are Darton Lightnings. Both of them are '92 or '93 versions. They are both set up alike. Specs. are 43in. axle to axle, 31in. draw length, set at 76lb., which is the bows max., 3in. overdraws, and I shoot a 2413 Easton X7 arrow with a 75gr. broadhead at 300ft./sec. I shoot both bows with a release. I like the bows because of the long axle length which provides for a very forgiving bow.

Arizona Griz.

Josh,

If you wanted to jump on the Mathews bandwagon, their Ikon or Conquest would be great finger bows. I have an older model Conquest, but have been shooting a longbow for the past few years(a lot more fun and challenging). A friend had an Oneida, but it developed problems on a NM elk hunt years ago. He drew back while sitting in his treestand, then aimed downward and released. The lower limb caught his thigh, and the nylon timing wheel stripped. The bow was then outa action.

Doug

Josh,

I currently shoot a Martin Pantera Pro Series, but guess what, I am going to sell it to get a Mathews. I love this Pantera for it's forgiveness and accuracy. The thing I like about the Mathews is speed with no shock and it is quiet. If anyone out there is interested in buying my Martin Pantera (perfect shape and fully set-up) e-mail me: kholder@theriver.com Thanks

Travis

I still have the first bow I bought in 89/90 it's a pse edge. It has plain old round wheels and a magnesium riser. It still shoots good, and I am getting it ready to give to one of my younger nephews. I am still a loyal pse shooter to this day. I feel they make a good bow and I like the fact that they are made in Arizona. Like 90% of bowhunters I am shooting a new bow with a machined aluminum riser and a single cam.

Guest jeff in NM

I have an older Bear Grizzly, probably an early 1970's bow, that I used to shoot on occasion. I have never taken anything but a javelina with it. My brother however, shot a big beautiful velvet mulie with it a few year's ago. I have switched to left-handed bows due to my left eye being dominant, and I no longer shoot this bow. It is the last of my Rh recurves.