Sign in to follow this  
CUZTAIL

stabilizer help???

i shoot a drenalin- noticed today my stabilizer makes my bow heavy. i have a lighter one. would make sense to lighten her up, but do i need the weight? guess i could just shoot and see the difference, but what exactly am i lookn for? any help would be great!

It will help keep it from viberating as much when you shoot, and take some of the recoil out !

This is a direct quote from jimposten.com, who makes custom stabilizers widely considered as the best, regarding the purpose of stabilizers. Unfortunately most people dont shoot well enough or often enough to tell the difference between a small rubber stabilizer and a long weight-suspended, rigid stabilizer.

Pin movement is resisted using the reduced leverage your bow hand has on moving the weight at the end of the bar. I am sure you are all familiar with Newton’s first law of motion “objects at rest tend to stay at rest”. Unless acted upon by an outside force. The mass weight on the end of the bar has to be forced to move. The length of the bar reduces the leverage your bow hand has on moving the weight. With the correct system, sudden deliberate movements become difficult, which translates to an even better resistance to subtle, unintentional movement. (A steadier pin) This is why I feel that a true stabilizer should be rigid. If it flexes, it allows small movements, and though it may create balance, it no longer effectively resists movement.

Grizzleys right on the theory of postens although for hunters they just aren't practical. Any additional weight you add to a bow will help absorb/reduce vibration and especially damage caused by vibration. Even though there are other ways to take care of excess vibration like rubber which has a natural "resistance" to vibrations as they move through it. Then a lot of people use heavy weights on their stabilizers (like B-stingers) to help the bow tip forward after releasing. Others pick b-stingers cause they say it makes them more stable. Stabilizers can do a variety of things I guess. My advice is to stick with whatever you are comfortable with and shoot the best. But don't be afraid to experiment with switching up your gear to find out what works best I mean how hard is it to switch back to a heavier stab if you want.

Some bow shops will let you try out different ones before you buy it also!

thanks 4 the help! swapped between lighter and heavy today and found that especially after the shot the heavier one kept my bow from jumpn out of my hand.