Sign in to follow this  
PSEps

Turkey Hunting

Whats your favorite call in your turkey hunting arsenal? Mine has to be "the gobbler" by primos, "the freak" slate call, and just a simple primos reed.

Derek

Here's my favorite: One evening about 35 years ago when I was heading up a project for the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station in deep East Texas, the local biologist, Billie Borden, showed up at my house. He said, "Come out to the pickup and see what I found today." I didn't know what to expect, but went to look out of curiosity. In the bed of the pickup was an old weathered cedar fence post about 5"-6" in diameter--really old. I looked at him quizzically and he said, "This will make some really good turkey calls, but I don't have the kind of a saw that will cut the blanks." He knew that my uncle, who lived out near Toledo Bend Reservoir, had all kinds of really good power tools. I told him to tell me how he wanted it cut and then took the post out to my uncle's place and returned with almost a dozen blanks that met his specifications. About two months later, he showed up at the house with two box calls that he had fashioned from two of the blanks--one for my uncle and one for me. To this day, I still haven't found a box call that sounds this good!

timberline box call

+1 Marvin was the best turkey caller in Az!! I use all hiss mouth calls

i use a mouth call . . .and need to be mouth call and box together . . .to drive over

both by primos

Here's my favorite: One evening about 35 years ago when I was heading up a project for the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station in deep East Texas, the local biologist, Billie Borden, showed up at my house. He said, "Come out to the pickup and see what I found today." I didn't know what to expect, but went to look out of curiosity. In the bed of the pickup was an old weathered cedar fence post about 5"-6" in diameter--really old. I looked at him quizzically and he said, "This will make some really good turkey calls, but I don't have the kind of a saw that will cut the blanks." He knew that my uncle, who lived out near Toledo Bend Reservoir, had all kinds of really good power tools. I told him to tell me how he wanted it cut and then took the post out to my uncle's place and returned with almost a dozen blanks that met his specifications. About two months later, he showed up at the house with two box calls that he had fashioned from two of the blanks--one for my uncle and one for me. To this day, I still haven't found a box call that sounds this good!

Cool Story!!

Amanda