Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Video camera

I'm considering a video camera for general purpose use (family plus wildlife stuff). Do any of you have any recommendations for a quality camera that isn't difficult to use, has good battery life and is tripod adaptable? Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

Just bought a Panasonic at WallyWorld for about $350 for that exact resson. Wife is so excited! I am such a thoughtful husband! Camera has a 20X optical zoom and other features that make it great for scouting, (and catching those childlike moments that only happen once and would otherwise be forgotten :D ) I think the biggest feature you will want to find is the optical zoom, (not digital zoom). After that the more money you spend the more clarity you will get in your picture. There is a great Canon for about $2500 that will blow your mind it is so clear at full zoom, even in low light conditions, just depends on your budget.

I bought the wife a Sony Handycam last year. It videos and records photos to a mini DVD. Makes it real handy you just pop the DVD into your DVD player and can see videos and and photos on your TV. Cost was around $600.00. Only bad thing about camera is she won't let me take it to the hills to video critters.

I also own two Sony Handycams. These just record to the little Hi-8 tapes though. I can transfer the video to my computer very easily, and the quality doesn't suffer at all. I think my little camera were around $300 too, but I got it as a second hand camera from Best Buy so I only paid something like $225. If you can find a deal like that at a Best Buy near you, GET IT! The tests they put their returned electronics through is amazing, and only the ones that check out 100% are resold. Plus the deal for mine was I got the camera, three tapes an extra battery, and a case for it all for cheaper than what just the camera sold for originally. One of mine (one is "newer" with better features than the other one) has a really cool feature that I don't recall seeing on most cameras is it can act like a digital camera too! You just buy a memory card, put it in the camera, and while you are taking video you just push another button to capture a photo. I really like that too.