Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

5th Graders on a Field Trip

I knew I shoulda taken my camera yesterday. My wife invited me to ditch school with her 5th grade class as she does every year.

Game and Fish has a program where they help teachers with field trips trying to get the kids interested in wildlife and in this case fishing. So my wife every year sets up with the local G&F to go to one of the local fishin holes with her class.

Three years ago we froze our tails off at Silver Creek Hatchery, snow, rain and wind.

Last year we went to a like up in Pinetop, caught a few fish and had a good time.

They talk to kids about what kind of fish are where, what baits can be used and they give them a little demo on how to use a Zebco rigged pole.

They provide poles, hooks, bait everything they need for the event.

Yesterday we went to Silver Creek Hatchery again and man, they put on a show for those kids.

Dumped a bunch of 6, 7, 8 inch trout into Silver Creek and then turned them loose with worms, salmon eggs and powerbait.

We couldn't keep the fish off fast enough to keep those kids happy.

26 kids fishing, total after one hour of fishing 184 fish catch and release as best you can on trout caught on a worm :(

A great day for the kids, they got a tour of the hatchery, got some fishin in.

One of the things mentioned by the G&F guy was that they didn't have nearly as many schools taking advantage of their program this year. I am guessing budget cuts in schools are the problem. My wife gets her PTO to pay for the bus trip and G&F picks up the tab for fishing supplies.

Great opportunity to show kids about fishing and our great outdoors opportunities. Ask you kids school teachers about it and get them signed up.

Thanks again to Game and Fish.

I think thats great for G&F to sponsor these programs for the youngsters, and allowing them to learn about fishing and having a great time.

A big Kudos to your wife for taking those kids on the trip! :)

My hat is off to your wife and the G&F department for their hard work in promoting hunting and fishing. I hear those who say only hunters and fisherman can promote our sport and that is just not true. Our G&F department has done an outstanding job and with the help of all the volunteers our state will continue to rank #1 in promoting hunting & fishing for generations to come. I'm tired of those who down play what G&F do while the same people do nothing but open their mouths and do nothing to support our heritiage. :)

TJ

Guest Bandido

AZGFD loves kids! They have always been ready to help with the kid things I have been involved with - with a big smile on top of that. We got big love for you AZGFD! :)