Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

Scents, Licks & Minerals

There is a lot of stuff on the market , what do you find to work the best for attacting Coues deer to a specific spot?

Mineral

Licks

Scents

?

And what specific brand ?

Thanks.

Ive tried alot of different things. The two things that matter the most are location and effort. Find a good spot where the deer will find it fairly easily. Make sure the deer are there the time of the year you want them to be. Dont let it dry up, make sure they always have what they what, where they want it.

If it were just one thing, coues hunting would be easy. LOL. The most successful hunters I know are the ones who spend LOTS of time in the field, and get to know the deer in an area and their habits. There's no formula, save for hard work. Scents, yeah, if applied right, licks, yeah, if applied right. You get the picture - they can all help, but there are no guarantees.

I know a guy who regularly takes good to GREAT coues bucks with a bow - by this I mean an OK shooter is in the low 100s and a great buck is in the high 120s or better. He also does well in bass tournaments, shed hunting, etc. His method - "Work your butt off". Get out there before the other guy, hike further than the other guy, be willing to sleep cold, hike long and thirsty, and sit for hours. Don't expect anything, but be ready when it arrives, persevere hard conditions, fight bordom, and most importantly don't choke when it all finally comes together. The truth is, even knowing this, we all don't have the luxury of spending countless hours dedicated to coues hunting - something of a topic all it's own.

Coues hunting, from what I've seen over the years is a labor of love. You get out of it what you put into it. Sure every year some schmuck gets lucky, but if you ever meet someone who gets "lucky" year after year, you know they put their blood, sweat, money, time and mental energy into it from January to December.

Lots of good input. What kind is what I am looking for, has anyone, or have you heard of anyone using any types of scents, minerals or licks with any success with coues? If so what kind?

Thanks.

I've found that where ever I sit, they go somewhere else. So you should go there. Sorry about that. :lol:

CactusJack, Where do you hunt? I want to make sure I stay out of your area :lol:

I've found that where ever I sit, they go somewhere else. So you should go there. Sorry about that. :lol:

CactusJack, Where do you hunt? I want to make sure I stay out of your area :lol:

In units 33,34,22,23 but only in Dec. Anyone else wanna not put in for those hunts it would be ok too. :D