jeffro

7mmRM at 1000yrds

Did a little shooting at 1000yrds the other day. 162 Amax at 2935fps. Not real happy with the horizontal, but the vertical was preaty good. The wind got me a little bit, as it was a bit gusty. That sure is a lot of fun though.

DSC03301.jpg

That is pretty good at 1000 yards.

I can shoot confidently with my 7 mag out to 800 yards.

It takes alot of practice and good equipment.

my 2 cents.

jeffro dont fool your self the 7mm is one of the best for that yardage

i will also agree , the 7mm mag is is one of the best long range calibers.

As for the light calibers, I will agree that the 7mmRM does well. There are many heavy hitters that will spank a 7mmRM though.

As for the light calibers, I will agree that the 7mmRM does well. There are many heavy hitters that will spank a 7mmRM though.

Spank it in regards to being more dependable on cross canyon shots and other cross wind situations maybe, but my gun builders have several 7mm's that will hold groups at 5" or less at 900-1000 yards. Not every gun is the same though, everything has to be absolutely perfect.

I'm finally picking up my new 7mm next week that's taken almost a year to build, break in and work the loads for it. It's supposedly a solid tack driver at 600-700 yards and weigh's dang near half what my .300wm weighs which will be nice for back pack hunts! My .300wm is solid out to 800 in good weather but I have no need to shoot any farther than that other than at rocks and targets but that's already crazy distances for hunting!

The 6.5-20x50 LRT with the fine duplex is my favorite scope and that's what I have on my .300wm, this new 7mm has the Mark 4 with custom turrets and fine duplex as well, should be good!

My 7mmRM will hold .5-.7 MOA out to 1000yrds if I do my part. In LR shooting, the wind drift is what Im most concerned about. As seen in this group, the wind got me. I have a new custom that is about 2 months out that will have a Mark 4 with a TMR reticle in it. What reticle are you using? Who is building your rifle?

Ah, just saw you said fine plex with custom turrets. Are those custom turrets set up for a specific load?

Hey Jeffro, my gun builder is a good friend of mine out of CA named Jim Mehl. He's been building rifles since before I was born and does an awesome job! I honestly have no clue about the scope, just what little I've heard about it becuase it was a tip i got from a client last year and was shipped from the Leupold custom shop to Jim Mehl's house. I was told he had several things changed and added to the scope and something was done to the turrets. That client was a mutual friend I share with Jim Mehl and is an amazing gunsmith himself. I'll know more when I get to see it for the first time next week. Last time I saw the gun it was just a Wal-Mart special, Rem 700 rifle that I bought and stripped down for the action. Now it's got a Hart barrel, Hunters Edge stock and all the fixin's to go with it! JIM>