Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

fishing/camping recomendations?

Do any of you guys have a recomendation of a good place where my wife and I can take our 3yr old out for her 1st overnight excursion? We're looking to go somewhere up into the pines and out of the heat and near some water where Sydney can catch bluegills (or any little fish!).. we are gonna try and avoid the crowds if at all possible so we can take the dogs with us and they can stretch their legs a bit too and do some swimming. I may also take a gun and do a bit of target shooting if the location allows.

We just want to have a fun, quiet family outing and get her excited about camping and the outdoors in general.

Any recomendations that are within 3-4hrs drive from Tucson? I was thinking maybe somewhere up towards Flagg or maybe up towards Pinetop or Alpine/Greer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

One last question, does an almost 3yr old need a fishing lisense?

Thanks!

I personally like the pinetop area, any of those lakes are great for camping. We have always gone to a place up in the WMAT reservation called Williams creek. I like camping near the stream. No a almost 3 yr old doesn't need a fishing license if with a licensed adult.

Do any of you guys have a recomendation of a good place where my wife and I can take our 3yr old out for her 1st overnight excursion? We're looking to go somewhere up into the pines and out of the heat and near some water where Sydney can catch bluegills (or any little fish!).. we are gonna try and avoid the crowds if at all possible so we can take the dogs with us and they can stretch their legs a bit too and do some swimming. I may also take a gun and do a bit of target shooting if the location allows.

We just want to have a fun, quiet family outing and get her excited about camping and the outdoors in general.

Any recomendations that are within 3-4hrs drive from Tucson? I was thinking maybe somewhere up towards Flagg or maybe up towards Pinetop or Alpine/Greer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

One last question, does an almost 3yr old need a fishing lisense?

Thanks!

Hi Scotty:

It takes us a bit under five hours from Tucson to Greer, and our Tucson home is on the north side of town. Nonetheless, you might want to consider coming up here. We have three lakes, and the Little Colorado River runs through the village. The Hoyer and Benny Creek campgrounds are across from the lakes, and there are lots of places outside the Greer Recreational Area where you can camp anywhere you choose. There are no bluegills, but there are Apache trout in the lakes and river. They're not the easiest for a 3-year-old to catch, though. It's been my experience that little children have a short attention span, so the river (creek) would be a good place for her to explore when she tires of drowning worms. Let me know if you decide to come up. My daughter and her husband will be here over the July 4 holiday, but I may be of some help at other times.

Bill Quimby

Great post. I've got 3 1/2 year old twins and my wife and i have been having the same discussiong....where can we go for their first camping trip that they would enjoy.

Always been partial to Black Canyon up by Heber. Flat shore lines for kids and plenty of space for camping. Not much on crouds either.