SuperiorBowHunter

Swarovski Spotting Scope 80mm Vs. 65mm

well guy i am in the market for a new spotter and if money was no problem which spotter would you guys go with? I am looking at the Swaro HD Spotters and where i know i would love to have the 80mm, i dont know how practical the 80mm is? It is huge and weighs a ton but it would be amazing to have....... so what do you all think guys??? the 65 or the 80mm.... and no question about weather it is HD or not got to be HD!!!! maybe even the Leica spotter too

Unless you plan on using it at high noon, go 80mm. At 60x you want to suck up all the light you can. Everyone who has gotten the 65 has eventually went to the 80/85's. They really arent that heavy. They are pretty bulky. The bigger spotters really help count tines and inches from a long ways off in less than perfect lighting.

that is amazing thanks but what about the spotters which one would you guys go with if money were not a problem whish one is the best on the market is it the Swarovski or the Leica???? Or is there somehing out there that i am not thinking about? and which tripod will it work best on a pistal grip or floating head????

if money were not a problem whish one is the best on the market is it the Swarovski or the Leica???? Or is there somehing out there that i am not thinking about? and which tripod will it work best on a pistal grip or floating head????

Many critical observers put the Kowa Prominar above the Swaro. I would definitely run over to Outdoorsmans and compare the two side by side. For a head, I personally prefer a fluid head. The Outdoorsmans fluid head is real nice, smooth and light, but spendy.

http://shop.outdoorsmans.com/product.sc?pr...p;categoryId=54

Id look through all the good stuff; Kowa, Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica. Ive never been able to look through a Kowa, but would like too. If money was no object I'd also have the outdoorsmans pan head like RR suggested. Im not the biggest fan of pistol grip heads, especially for 60x optics.

I would go with SWARO 80. I have the 65 and dad has the 80, i wish i would have gotten the 80. The 65 is easier to pack but it really doesn't take up very much more room.

Leica is also great glass though.

I would like to have a pair of those giant binos......

Im sorry to throw a curve ball in this post but i used to be the manager of the gift bar at Sportsmans wearhouse in Tucson and we compared all of the scopes together:

I have all Swarovski for my persanal use...but i think the Zeiss is probably the best in the scope...it has another focus ring on it and in low light it did a lot better. You cant go wrong with Swaro but I would take a look at the Zeiss before you purchase.

if money and weight is not an issue I would take a look at the Optolyth 100mm Scope...that is the ish. its big but but blows all others away, its a German made glass. Google it

Also:

if you are NOT going to take pictures through the scope the HD is not necessary. It was made for digiscoping. with our eyes you wont be able to tell the difference but through a digital camara and as you zoom in you will notice a difference on the comeputer when you try to edit.

well guy i am in the market for a new spotter and if money was no problem which spotter would you guys go with? I am looking at the Swaro HD Spotters and where i know i would love to have the 80mm, i dont know how practical the 80mm is? It is huge and weighs a ton but it would be amazing to have....... so what do you all think guys??? the 65 or the 80mm.... and no question about weather it is HD or not got to be HD!!!! maybe even the Leica spotter too

I have the 65 and have been completely happy with it. I have used the 85 and really it does add a bit more light but really If you pack and will be packing your scope then for the little extra light the 85 would give you is not worth the extra hassle to pack that thing around as it it quite a bit bigger then the 65. Both are great scopes.

well thanks guy you have given me some awesome advice! can u guys help me out now with which one? I mean i yours eyes tell me your top 5 brands of spotters. Also what about angled pr straight? And anyone know with Swarovski what the STS, STM,ATS, ATM is all about? i think that they dont make one of them anymore right? well i dontknow which ones i want just going to have to but them side by side! The reason why i say money is not a problemis bc my stuff was stolen and hopfully the insurance replaces everything with out any problems

STS = Straight eyepiece, steel housing........Old style

ATS = Angled eyepiece, steel housing .........Old Style

STM = Straight eyepiece, magnesium housing....New Style

ATM = Angled eyepiece, magnesium housing.....New Style

The Magnesium is about 3 oz lighter

(in my opinion) Top end scopes in no particular order

Optolyth 20-60 x 100

Optolyth 20-60 x 80

Kowa TSN 883/884 Prominar XD 883 Straight eyepiece, 884 Angled eypiece

Kowa TSN 773/774 Prominar XD 773 Straight eyepiece, 774 Angled eypiece

Swarovski 80 HD/ 65 HD

Swarovski 80 / 65

Zeiss Diascope 85 / 65

Leica Televid APO 82

Leica Televid 77

Vortex RZR HD 85 Angled version only

Bigger objective will gather more light in the morning and the evening But it weighs more and takes up more room in your pack.

Most animals I see come out in the morning and the evening (low light conditions) So for myself I will be purchasing the larger objective.

As far as angled or straight. I hear if you can get used to the angled spotter it is easier but takes a bit of time to get used to pinpointing spots and being proficient with it.

Just like binoculars, all of the top brands are very good and almost indistinguishable in quality. However, each has different features and ergonomics that appeal to hunters in different ways. I have no experience with Optolyth, but if you choose any spotting scope from Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, or Kowa, you will not lack quality.

I agree with everyone here that 80mm is the way to go. The small increase in weight will more than pay for itself in low-light situations. Plus, on some spotting scopes, the magnification of the 65mm with the same eyepiece is less than the magnification of the 85mm. Zeiss is a perfect example of this; the same eyepiece on the 65mm is 15-45x, while on the 85mm it is 20-60x. Sometimes those extra "x's" on the top end come in handy without sacrificing much at the low end.

If you are really concerned with size and weight, I would choose a 60mm spotter from Kowa. They are much lighter weight and considerably smaller in overall dimensions than most of the 65mm scopes and all of the larger models.

The best advice I heard was from Doug (Red Rabbit): head over to the Outdoorsmans and check them all out. Those guys know a ton about optics and tripods, and you will be able to see which one you like the best!

you guyt have had all really helpful things to saw and i think i am either going with the Swaro spotter or the Kowa spotter but i am also thinking about the Zeiss Spotter I heard that this scope is better at longer range then the swaro and i read that the Kowa was the best at long range with a dual knob that make it easier and nicer to use... either way i would like to spend a week with all of them before i really make a decision. So what i would like to hear from all you guys out there is what you would chose and why this would really help me out and remember think as if your pockets were deep enough to cover them all without problems! and also the set up you would use! I would like to use the manfroto with the jim white head but i would like to hear from you all

Also what about warranty guys does the other brands have the same great warranty as the swaros??? I think that the warranty is going to be a huge part of my decision

The new Leica APO spotting scopes are getting rave reviews from both the hunters and birders. The new Aspheric eyepiece and the ability to quickly and easily couple it with the Leica Digital camera is a real advantage. The disadvantage is cost, but image quality and duribility is never a problem with Leica products.

I have been reading good reports on Leica customer service also... The catalog they sent me has their Sport Optics Good Will policy printed on page 10... a positive change from the past.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had my Leica's for over 20 years and they have never needed servicing.

D.D.

I have a STS 80 with the 20-60x eye piece, and the stay-on case I even have the digital camera adapter, all are in perfect condition. I have them for sell if you are intersted. Email me at bagnoliwildlife@yahoo.com if you are intersted