Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster

Chevelon Canyon Lake

Went up there last weekend and realized how tough it is to access. Ended up taking a forest service road in on the west side about halfway up the lake to a small parking area. We then proceeded to hike our kayaks down 8 or 900 yards to the lake on advice from a guy we met on the trail. He said that the dam access point was an even further hike then this one, so I believed him. Later that day I saw a metal jon boat complete with trolling motor, so I thought to myself, "there's no way that guy hiked THAT thing all the way down here too!" Anyhow, just wondering if you can get right to the water on the north end by the dam, I'd like to go back, but hiking my kayak out of the access point I went in on nearly killed me! Any thoughts?

It's been a few years, but it seems like I remember the access being easier towards the dam. I don't know if you could take an ATV (not even sure if it would be legal, because there is a gate across the road.....), but as I recall the hike to the lake was definitely easier at the dam. You're basically hiking down a two-track road, as opposed to a 'switch-back' type of a hiking trail.

The last time I was there, there were several little alumimum boats by the dam. I was thinking that if you had wheels, that it would not be too hard to man-handle a boat down the two-track to the water by the dam. A kayak would not be a problem at all for that access point.....

S.

:)

PS: The last time I was there, I was fly-fishing out of a float-tube. It was the middle of a HOT July day, and the wind kicked-up big time!! Well, the cicadas (locust) were buzzing thick in the trees and started to get blown down onto the water. This started a FEEDING FRENZY of brown trout who couldn't get enough of those cicadas! We spent two hours casting big black wooly worms & buggers and caught & released a couple of dozen fat brown trout each!!!! Amazing thing to find ourselves in the middle of.... ;) Not many fishing days like that.... :)

Kinda depends on what you want. The trail heading north from the south end (inslet side) is a hike. Its not too bad 15 min in, 30-40 out. I am usually hauling float tube rod flippers waders boots water ect. The north side is a longer "walk" less of a "hike" it is down a road. You can fit a narrow quad down it, I wih you couldn't. Its nice to have a lake so secluded and hike in only. Ive only hiked in all the times I've fished it. The dam side is more crowded, the inlet side is less crowded. There are plenty of lake up there with easier access too.

So can you drive in past the gate with a quad or is it illegal? On the map it looks like the trail goes right to the water. Would a wheeled cart work to get a kayak in there or is it too rough? Thanks

A wheeled cart would be too hard, thats why there are so many boats sitting on the shore, no one wants to haul them out. I dont know about the legality, im pretty sure it is not legal, but that doesnt stop too many people. I have a quad and small enough canoe to drive it in, but i prefer to hike in a float tube from the inlet side. The gravel road is maybe a mile long. It is a good wide road but there is a narrow gate there that they should close up for good(imo). When i want to boat fish i go to willow springs or woods canyon or some where else. I go to Chevlon to hike in and be one of few on the inlet side.

A buddy and I backpacked our gear and float tubes down the road on the dam side in April. We spent the night and the next morning two or three different quads came down the road, through our camp, and parked near the dam. It was my understanding that quads/machines were not allowed. I talked to one of the guys who was riding a quad and he said that it was legal as long as you can fit between the steel posts on top and that he has been doing it for years. I never followed up with anyone to see if he was right. If he was right, that would be the way to go....

Yes you can take an ATV down on the dam side and it is legal according to the sign posted as long as the atv will fit through the narrow opening. I was down there about a month ago and didnt know you could use a quad, I wished I would have. The road to the lake is rough but if you take your time I dont think it would be a problem. A few people had their quads down there and had lifted their trailers a little so as not to bottom out. You may want to try it with the quad only first and assess the situation. Good luck, fishing was great by the way.