Sign in to follow this  
ltd2004

advice on binos

hello there, within the next week im am gonna buy a pair of new binos and have my heart set on swarovsi 10x50's. ive done a little research but would like to hear the opinion of local hunters. does anyone have advice or opinions on swarovski vs leicas vs vortex. ive even thought about leupold golden rings for half the price. thanks for your help

The 10x50s are a great set of binos if you will only have 1 pair. They are a little on the big side for neck binos for me. They are great glass and you will be able to glass before anyone else on the hill. Vortex makes a great product in their razors. Their 12x50 are one of my faves. Leicas are great too. All depends how much you want to spend and what other binos you have at your disposal now. ALso take a look at the Zen Ray binos. RR has mentioned them a few times and one day im gonna have to get a pair.

If you want to "Buy once and cry once" and then have the pleasure of using a quality glass stick with Leica's, Swaros or Zeiss.... You won't be sorry! I bought my first Leica's over 20 years ago and they work as good today as the day I bought them. They have NEVER needed to be repaired and I have used them hard on hunts all over the world. Lots of binos look good when they are new... and the price is a lot lower than the German glass... optical clarity is only one factor, mechanical reliability is another. My Leica's cost a lot when I bought them new... but over the years, they have been a great value and I still enjoy using them. D.D.

On this site everyone swears by Swarovski like they are getting kick backs or something but honestly, it will come down to what fits your eyes the best and what you are willing to spend. The three brands mentioned to you first are all great and I am happy to see another hunter picking up some quality glass! Good luck and have fun looking....

Those Swarovski 10x50s are great, but I think they are too big and heavy. I much prefer the 10x42s from Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss. The 10x50s are more than 1/3 heavier than the 10x42s and are 1-2" longer.

As for brand, head down to the Outdoorsmans (10004 N. Cave Creek Rd.) and check them all out. They are all great, but they each feel differently in your hands and against your face. Pick the one that YOU think is the best and most comfortable!

Even though some binoculars are optically better than others they still may not be the best for you. I cannot glass comfortably with 15x56 Swaros, they just don't fit me. The Kaibabs and Leicas are much more comfortable to me. This may not be the case for you. Take up Trent on his offer and try them all out.

thanks for all the advice. in your opinion are 10x50s(any brand) sufficient for glassing off a tripod and for carrying around your neck while still hunting, or is it better to get 15x56s strictly for glassing long distances, and buying a second pair,like a 8x 42, that is lighter and cheaper(200-400 hundred range) for still hunting. thx for all your help

It's all personal preference. I like 8's around my neck and 15's on a tripod, I start close then work far when I glass - or at least I try to. The Leupold Switch Powers would be great if they had a 50mm objective, you would only have to carry one pair for neck & tripod and 50 is a good compromise between 42 & 56 without all the weight. And when it comes to glass nothing beats a great warranty. Don't discount the 15x50 Vortex Vipers, they are my backups/loaners and are good glass for the price.

I would not really agree with the "cheaper ones theary" I am an honest believer in you get what you pay for and I took the advice of smoe people here along time ago and saved up and purchased the better glass rather then buy cheap! Because lets face it you buy cheap now you pay later! You most likly will get the better glass down the road! But I have the 15x56s Swaros and on a tripod and I love them! And have Ziess 10x42 around my neck but I didnt start that way, I first had the Nikons and they were a good glass for what I could afford at the time but dark when you compare them to Leicas or Swarovski, But all anyone can tell you hear that knows anything is go down and try them all out for yourself....