Sign in to follow this  
trotsky

Question for those who have done it

Just a quick few questions for those who have gone to Africa. I really want to go there and am planning to do it in 3 to 5 years. I saved about 3000 in the last year to put to this trip that I have no plans on touching. I am hoping to do the same in the next few years. My questions revolve around reliable outfitters, (I want to do an archery trip), what websites have good info, and how to plan a hunt like this. It looks like quite a few guys here have done this before so I would love to hear you input as well as stories. (Good, bad, it should all help me out)

Thanks everyone

By the way I really want to go for Kudu or Oryx with some other speies mixed in.

Me and my two boys age 5 and 2 my wife and my mother and father went to South Africa last year. I did quite a bit of research and ended up booking everything through Cabela's. Our trip went off without a hitch. I cannot say enough good things about the hunt and their travel service. My five year old son even got to take a very nice Blesbok on the last day. Cabela's might not be the cheapest one out there but after some of the horror stories I heard I liked security we felt going with a well known company.(and besides they get most of my money anyway :) Hope this helps and have a great trip when you go. There is no place like Africa and I have got my next trip on the books.

Me and my two boys age 5 and 2 my wife and my mother and father went to South Africa last year. I did quite a bit of research and ended up booking everything through Cabela's. Our trip went off without a hitch. I cannot say enough good things about the hunt and their travel service. My five year old son even got to take a very nice Blesbok on the last day. Cabela's might not be the cheapest one out there but after some of the horror stories I heard I liked security we felt going with a well known company.(and besides they get most of my money anyway :) Hope this helps and have a great trip when you go. There is no place like Africa and I have got my next trip on the books.

Using a booking agency such as Cabela's is a good way to book a hunt, if the companies they've lined up offer all the species and services you want. A better way, I think, is to attend an SCI convention and visit the booths offering South African hunts and ask those who impress you most which agents represent them. This way you'll get to meet the people you will be hunting with and see photos of their facilities. They may be reluctant to steer you to their agents, though. Like travel agents, it costs no more to use a booking agent. The hunting company pays them, not you. If the hunting company folds, which is not rare at all, you'll get your deposit back from the agent (if it is a member of the booking agency trade association, so ask).

Bill Quimby

I would talk to Niel Summers at Bowhunting Safari Consultants he has been doing bow safaris across africa for as long as anyone. Very good reputation. I have booked two trips over there with him was very pleased. You will get straight, honest answers from him. Unlike many booking agents he spends many weeks a year on the ground over there looking at his existing and potential properties.

There are a million guys advertising bowhunting but only a handfull that really specialize in it.

Good luck, feel free to ping me with questions

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess my big question is money related. I plan on saving at least 15000 for this trip which shouldn't be a problem to do. The big question is if this is enough to do a safari in Africa