Sign in to follow this  
couespatrol

Story and pics about avatar

This hunt took place in October of 2008. It was a pack in hunt that we had planned for awhile. My friend Oscar and I decided we would pack in for several days and take our boys along for their first pack in. A half our into opening morning I was glassing down a finger that my boy and I had spotted several deer on, when my boy started glassing a finger directly to our left. He spotted several deer and directed me to where he had last seen them. As I started to glass the area I noticed a buck that had decent mass and was fairly tall. The buck then decided to bed down and put a large bush between him and us while I was trying to size him up. I continued to glass the area and noticed three more bucks. One of the bucks was wide with a non-typical antler growing from the base of the left main beam. We glassed him for about an hour before he also decided to bed down. My boy then asked if I was going to shoot him. I told him that I wanted a better look at the other buck before I made my decision.

About three hours later the first buck stood up to change positions and I was able get a better look at him and noticed that he was a tall 4x4 with decent mass(excluding the eye gaurds). Even though the second buck(who was bedded 75yrds away)had a non-typical point and was fairly wide, I decided to take the first book due him being the dominant buck and I love deer with tall racks. One 260 yard shot form my .243 and my hunt was over. My boy was very excited and wanted to get a little loud. I then advised him that the second deer did not move from his bed and to stay quiet. The second buck was sound asleep. So I asked my boy if he would stay and glass the buck while I went back to our spike camp to get Oscar. Our spike camp was only 20min. away. I thought he would be a little hesitant being only ten years old at the time. I thought wrong! He said yes and asked me to leave him the rifle. So off I went doing double time trying to cut the time in half. Well to make a long story short Oscar was not at our spike camp and two and a half hours later we were back with my boy.

My boy stated that the buck had moved to a different bush and due to multiple trees in the way he could not find him. We then began to glass the last area my boy had noticed him in and were able to locate him. Oscar made a great shot and we were finished opening day at 1:15pm. As we walked up to Oscar's buck we were all exited due to the non-typical point and this being Oscar's first coues deer and a great one at that! This was another great hunt that we were blessed with and one we will never forget!!!

post-1-1278253988_thumb.jpg

post-1-1278254028_thumb.jpg

post-1-1278254018_thumb.jpg

post-1-1278254011_thumb.jpg

post-1-1278254000_thumb.jpg

post-4369-1278202292_thumb.jpg

This hunt took place in October of 2008. It was a pack in hunt that we had planned for awhile. My friend Oscar and I decided we would pack in for several days and take our boys along for their first pack in. A half our into opening morning I was glassing down a finger that my boy and I had spotted several deer on, when my boy started glassing a finger directly to our left. He spotted several deer and directed me to where he had last seen them. As I started to glass the area I noticed a buck that had decent mass and was fairly tall. The buck then decided to bed down and put a large bush between him and us while I was trying to size him up. I continued to glass the area and noticed three more bucks. One of the bucks was wide with a non-typical antler growing from the base of the left main beam. We glassed him for about an hour before he also decided to bed down. My boy then asked if I was going to shoot him. I told him that I wanted a better look at the other buck before I made my decision.

About three hours later the first buck stood up to change positions and I was able get a better look at him and noticed that he was a tall 4x4 with decent mass(excluding the eye gaurds). Even though the second buck(who was bedded 75yrds away)had a non-typical point and was fairly wide, I decided to take the first book due him being the dominant buck and I love deer with tall racks. One 260 yard shot form my .243 and my hunt was over. My boy was very excited and wanted to get a little loud. I then advised him that the second deer did not move from his bed and to stay quiet. The second buck was sound asleep. So I asked my boy if he would stay and glass the buck while I went back to our spike camp to get Oscar. Our spike camp was only 20min. away. I thought he would be a little hesitant being only ten years old at the time. I thought wrong! He said yes and asked me to leave him the rifle. So off I went doing double time trying to cut the time in half. Well to make a long story short Oscar was not at our spike camp and two and a half hours later we were back with my boy.

My boy stated that the buck had moved to a different bush and due to multiple trees in the way he could not find him. We then began to glass the last area my boy had noticed him in and were able to locate him. Oscar made a great shot and we were finished opening day at 1:15pm. As we walked up to Oscar's buck we were all exited due to the non-typical point and this being Oscar's first coues deer and a great one at that! This was another great hunt that we were blessed with and one we will never forget!!!

Sorry the pics are sideways. I had to scan them to my computer because I could not find my disc and forgot to fix them.

Man them are some awesome bucks and a great hunt! enjoyed pics n story, work was lame and this helps at the end of a day. Congrats

Guest Bandido

Can't beat the father and son connection. That's the best part. You're a blessed man. :)

Sorry the pics are sideways. I had to scan them to my computer because I could not find my disc and forgot to fix them.

Don't worry, I fixed them for you.

GREAT story and Awesome bucks!! Congratulations! How old are the boys? What a great experience for them!

Thanks for taking the time to scan your photos.

Don't worry, I fixed them for you.

GREAT story and Awesome bucks!! Congratulations! How old are the boys? What a great experience for them!

Thanks for taking the time to scan your photos.

The boys are both 13 now. At the time of the hunt they were both 11. They are some of the best hikers I know!

One of the best hunts ever...definitely memories our boys will never forget. Tough as nails carrying more weight than I could have imagined through some Tough Country and never a complaint! Just happy to be out in Gods Country. To be young again!! That evening with both trophies at camp, the fire never felt warmer, food was great and the company of good friends. Thats what these hunts are all about. -Oscar