Sign in to follow this  
Az_Outdoors

Thermacell Repellent

Has anyone ever used a Thermacell while hunting to repell mosquitos? Does it work well? Does it have any odor? Is it worth the money? Thanks for any answers.

They work and work well... use them in the boat too.... just make sure you remember to turn it off when you don't need it to get the most use ...

My first experience with Thermacell was in Florida while hunting hogs and turkeys from make shift blinds and tree stands about five years ago. It is mandatory equipment out there unless you want to be carried away by the condor like mosquitos. Thermocell works great, well worth the money. Only works in an isolated area and it takes a few minutes to start working once you fire it up. While treestand hunting, I'll set it on the platform. Has a slight odor, but doesn't seem to spook game IMO. If bugs are a big problem for you, I would recommend giving it a try. One of the units I purchased the clicker wouldn't ignite the unit very well. Wal-mart carries them and has a good return policy incase you end up with a faulty one. They should light within 3 clicks, take it back if it doesn't.

Dang! I'm not sure about Cedar Gnats either. I'm absolutely positive it repels Chupacabras and Sasquatch though. :blink:

Yes, they do work. BUT......... They are not guaranteed for over 4500 feet in elevation. I've had them work for a day or two but then cannot get it to light again. Here is what the Cabelas catalog says:

This ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent is not designed to run at altitudes above 4,500 feet. The manufacturer states that units become difficult to start and run at altitudes above 4,500 feet above sea level.

Thanks for the note on elevation. I have had great results with it in the Desert and have not had a chance to use it above 4500 Feet. I am going to have to keep this in mind when heading to the mountains.

They do work, but I do not recommend using one inside of a double bull blind. We tried it during the deer hunt and I thought I was going to cough up a lung, and then it got hard to breath. David