Bigmike

Newbie to Coues Deer

Hello all and congrats to everyone who drew out this year!! Quick question, I am a newbie when it comes to Coues. I drew late Oct. for Unit 35A. Any tips or advice?? Also, anyone have any decent info on unit 35A. I wish I could afford an outfitter, but with starting a new business and the economy well you know how that goes. I'm getting really excited to get out and start scouting. Thanks for any and all info!!

You should at least talk to Matt at Borderland Adventures... I'm pretty sure he offers scouting packages as well at much less, might even just point you in the right direction. He even sponsors this site.

Borderland Adventures

hello - in and around Parker canyon lake - whats nice is you can also do a little bass fishin on a scouting trip -- the lower foothills of this area usually hold a good number of deer - or the mustang mtns. Gary

Big Mike, are you set up to hunt them? Do you have some 15X bino's and a tripod? You can still glass with 10x but really should get a tripod.............Do you glass alot in other kinds of hunting? Ask some questions and tell us where you are at so we can give some pointers..............Allen..........

Thanks for all the replies.

Allen, I have a set of Nikon Monarch 10x42s and a tripod. Not alot of experience glassing but been hunting muleys and elk since I was 12. Now 37.

All I have heard is to be patient and try to glass as long as possible. I'm confident in my shooting ability. Have a model 700 in .270 with Nikon Monarch scope in mil-dot.

As for questions.... Are there any inexpensive spotting scopes or larger binos that would benefit me?

What about scent control? Effective or not?

Thanks for the willingness to help out!

I have heard good things about the Vortex Kaibab 15s. They are a good bang for the buck.

Glassing is important, but knowing when and where to glass is more so.

You want to increase your chances at seeing bucks and knowing the basics is crucial.

I suggest reading "How to Hunt Coues Deer" by Duwane Adams.

Its sold here on CW.com and will give you a lot of basic information that will come in handy during your hunt.

Also search these forums and you can get a lot of good tips.

I used to hunt 35A quite a bit and from what I understand, it has changed a lot.

If I were to hunt it again, I would go back to basics and do what I do well. That is

glass the correct facing ridges at the right times and glass effectively.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.