Sign in to follow this  
JLW

flying ants

was out scouting saturday and flying red ants were everywhere!

i mean litterally millions!

we couldn't even sit down to glass!

i guess all the moisture made them breed like crazy!

i wish i would have taken some pics but the kept comming in the truck crawling all over us!

I always thought the the flying ants were the queens..?

anyone else experience this?

james

those are good eating! Just dont try and eat the wings. Had that happened during Survival School while I was the Air Force that would have been awesome. Call me Mowgli!

Here is what I found.

Most ants in a colony are wingless, sterile females. When the reproductive cycle occurs, winged males and winged females (virgin queens) typically fly out in swarms, where mating occurs, after which the males usually die and the females lose their wings and each goes off to form a new colony.

http://www.saguaro-juniper.com/i_and_i/ins...ts/sj-ants.html

cool thanks!

i'll save those ants for other critters to eat, way better stuff in the desert than ants :lol:

james

If you are ever around a trout stream or a lake with trout when this ant hatch occurs, you're in for some fun if you are a fly fisherman. I've had this happen to me on White river and the Little Colorado River below the Greer Lakes. You could see every trout in the stream coming to the surface and gorging on the ants. They must taste good because the trout stuff on them and will continue to eat a fly that looks like a flying ant for several days after it's over with. :P

They may have been flying termites too....they come out and swarm after the rains begin

here is a page that compares the two...

http://www.pestproducts.com/flyingants.htm

Yes we had those in our house about 3 yrs ago. It wasn't very fun had to basically leave the house while they tented the whole house for 2 days. Now when my wife sees any flying bug in the house she gets paranoid about termites.