ACW

advice on a range finder

I am looking into getting a new range finder this year. I need one that is dependable and will read out to the longer ranges.

Im mostley a bow hunter but i drew an awesome rifle tag this year so im trying to get set up for the longer shots.

if anyone has some advice or experiences to share it would be greatly appreciated

Leica is coming out with their 1600 this year. It is gonna be the swiss army knife of rangefinders. I am on several lists waiting!!! I have a 1200 and a pair of Geovids. Leica is where I put my $$$$.

It's not a Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss, but I've had good luck with my Nikon range finder out to 600-800 yards, which should be plenty with a rifle.

I have used the bushnell's, nikon's etc. and the best deal as far as I am concerned is the Lieca CRF 900 from cameraland. $429 and that thing is smok'n fast and accurate. I love mine

I'm in agreement that you can't go wrong with Leica, but if you're like me and budgeting to get the most equipment for your $$ the Nikon Riflehunter 550 isn't a bad model either. They're light, compensate for incline/decline which makes shots in rugged country much more doable, read accurately at close range for spot on archery hunting, give distances to over 600 yards (further than I'll probably ever shoot with a rifle), are very simple (only 2 buttons without all of the needless features that many models have), and are also quite affordable at around $250 from many online stores.

I have these and am super-satisfied. Good luck with your decision!

Leica all the way. If money is an issue, save until you can afford them. There are a bunch of other strings covering this subject by the way

I have used the bushnell's, nikon's etc. and the best deal as far as I am concerned is the Lieca CRF 900 from cameraland. $429 and that thing is smok'n fast and accurate. I love mine

+1 I love my CRF900. Small, compact, accurate, and easy to use. $429 is a great price for this unit. The 1200 and 1600 would be even better!

I have a leupold RX 700. I love it and would recommend it. I also used it in Afghanistan.

I'm in agreement that you can't go wrong with Leica, but if you're like me and budgeting to get the most equipment for your $$ the Nikon Riflehunter 550 isn't a bad model either. They're light, compensate for incline/decline which makes shots in rugged country much more doable, read accurately at close range for spot on archery hunting, give distances to over 600 yards (further than I'll probably ever shoot with a rifle), are very simple (only 2 buttons without all of the needless features that many models have), and are also quite affordable at around $250 from many online stores.

I have these and am super-satisfied. Good luck with your decision!

I second the Nikon 550. Great range finder for the money. Last year I was hunting with two guys that both had the newest Leica range finders. The trouble was that we were ranging deer on a severe angle and both of these guys kept asking me what my range finder was reading because I had the angle compensation. The range was quite different at just under 300 Yards. Leica now makes the 1600 with angle compensation, so I will be saving my $$$ for a new Leica as soon as I can aford one.

Leica if you got he cash. I don't like the swaro reticle. My old nikon 600 works really well and has for many years, but i need more than that for rifle hunts.