Sign in to follow this  
MangeyJoe

I'm Looking At A Savage

I recently sold my Remington 700 SPS .270 to a buddy of mine who is a MCSO Police Officer and I regret it. I just left Sportsmans and seen a Savage Arms in .270 for $299. I never shot or heard anything good or bad about Savage Arms but I really liked it. I am planning on putting it on my xmas wish list. Has anyone heard anything or shot a Savage Arms? Did you like it?

I Am Probably Just Going Save Up For A Remington Since That Is all I Shoot!!!

In my view there isnt a better gun you can buy in terms of accuracy or reliability that isnt a tactical or target gun. If the savage model at sportsman's warehouse didn't have the acutrigger you should spend the extra $ and get one that does have it. Tip : The Walmarts that still sell guns carry the savage 110 with acutrigger for $384. A factory adjustable trigger form if memory serves me correctly, 1.5 to 5.5 lbs. Best trigger you can get, trigger jobs included. Bar none, the savage is a serious hunting machine and you'll love it if you buy one. I have akimber, a few weatherbys, and some custom remington 700s but when Igo hunting for animals at long ranges you'll always see me reach for that trusty savage in .270 with a vortex viper scope.

A lot of guys are now using the Savage actions for their long range custom guns.

Get it, shoot the crap out of it and when the barrel is used up put a good custom job on it and one of the many 3rd party stocks. It's not that hard to put a Savage barrel on yourself, due to the exterior barrel nut. Lot's of guys do it and brownells even sells a kit for home barrel swapping.

+1 on the Accutrigger. The Savage non-accutrigger will have to be modified or replaced anyway. Might as well get it right the first time.

A lot of guys are now using the Savage actions for their long range custom guns.

Get it, shoot the crap out of it and when the barrel is used up put a good custom job on it and one of the many 3rd party stocks. It's not that hard to put a Savage barrel on yourself, due to the exterior barrel nut. Lot's of guys do it and brownells even sells a kit for home barrel swapping.

+1 on the Accutrigger. The Savage non-accutrigger will have to be modified or replaced anyway. Might as well get it right the first time.

+1

I have been looking at a savage for my boy who is 7 now. I am planning to build it in .250 savage becuase the barrels are so easy to swap should be fun, It's a good choice IMO

Would you prefer the Remington over Savage? Even for short or long range shots?

See?? that "I hate traping" post does not let you think straight!! :lol:

Shoot the best, go back to Rem. 700

Ernesto C :D

LMAO :lol: I really prefer to spent the extra money and get the Remington. I am really concidering trying trapping and how can I hate something I never tried? What does "+1" mean? I sold my SPS .270 for money reasons but I learned my lesson I want my Remington back. I still have my crappy Mosin Nogant 7.62x54R but it's good for target shooting and the story behind it but definately not hunting, I have a Remington 870 Shotgun, Taurus .38 Special and PT .45, along with my XD 40, and my tippmann paintball gun lol. Man do I miss my Remington .270!!!!

I have a friend with one that claims it is the best buy in accuracy on the market. Have never shot one myself, but he has shot some 1/2 minute groups with it.

I love this gun and highly recommend it. I have killed almost any critter you can think of in AZ with this gun. It was my first high powered rifle too. I have more expensive guns, but this is my go-to gun. Hope that helps...

The recoil pad on the 700's kick like a mule but I had a after market limbsaver on my 700 and it helped so much. It was the most accurate rifle I ever shot and I loved it.

Remington's r3 recoil pad is a SVL.

Savage make a great rifle for the money. I've always prefered 700s.Im more familar with them. I would not hesitate to use a savage, or use one to start a build. I have a bolt action 17 hmr made by savage, it will put all 5 in a dime at 50 and maybe a nickel at 100 if the wind cooperates.

The recoil pad on the 700's kick like a mule but I had a after market limbsaver on my 700 and it helped so much. It was the most accurate rifle I ever shot and I loved it.

Remington's r3 recoil pad is a SVL.

Savage make a great rifle for the money. I've always prefered 700s.Im more familar with them. I would not hesitate to use a savage, or use one to start a build. I have a bolt action 17 hmr made by savage, it will put all 5 in a dime at 50 and maybe a nickel at 100 if the wind cooperates.

So you would still prefer the Remington?