Sign in to follow this  
trophyhnter

Spin Reel with Braid

Question for all you Braid line fisherman. I recently spooled 100 yards of 30 lb mono backing with 150 yards of 50 lb Spiderwire with some kind of wax coating (assumed) to increase casting, and a 5 foot 30 lb mono leader for a San Deigo fishing trip. I had some problems with the line initially not being spooked on tight enough which in turn cut into the spooled line and basically increased my drag causing two breakoffs with big fish because the spool could not turn as the fish was taking line. After the first two breakoffs, I respooled with alot more tension on the line and that helped a lot but after a day of casting squid and live fish and retrieving the line with and without a fish on the end of the line, it resulted in the line cutting into the spooled line again and causing one more break off. What should I do to prevent this again? Side note, I know the the line strength was over kill but I wanted to make sure that i didnt loose any fish due to line strength!

I don't know if this is right or not but, I'm thinking that the diameter of the 30 lb mono may have left gaps for the thinner braid to get bound into. I use Fireline on my walleye rigs but use flyline backing or squidding line instead of mono for the backing. When I lived back east we would back all of our ocean rods with squidding line before spooling mono. Sounds like you where experiencing something similar to when a levelwind or baitcasting reel backlashes. It might be worth trying the squidding line.

Hope this helps,

--Bill

maybe try to ask on azbasszone

lots of gurus on there

james

Question for all you Braid line fisherman. I recently spooled 100 yards of 30 lb mono backing with 150 yards of 50 lb Spiderwire with some kind of wax coating (assumed) to increase casting, and a 5 foot 30 lb mono leader for a San Deigo fishing trip. I had some problems with the line initially not being spooked on tight enough which in turn cut into the spooled line and basically increased my drag causing two breakoffs with big fish because the spool could not turn as the fish was taking line. After the first two breakoffs, I respooled with alot more tension on the line and that helped a lot but after a day of casting squid and live fish and retrieving the line with and without a fish on the end of the line, it resulted in the line cutting into the spooled line again and causing one more break off. What should I do to prevent this again? Side note, I know the the line strength was over kill but I wanted to make sure that i didnt loose any fish due to line strength!

If I were you, I would simply spool up your reel with 300 yds of 50 lb spectra and then top it off with a short 10-20 ft. section of fluorocarbon. You will avoid the spooling issue, increase line capacity, cut down on line to line knots and have a more simple, more reliable set-up. When ever I set up any of my rigs with spectra, that is what I do. One good hint though, put some white athletic tape on your spool before you wind on the spectra, that way you avoid "line shift" on the spool.

Jesse

WFGinNM,

Good thought but that didnt seem to be the case as the mono looked pretty level. The line cut into the spool within the first few yards.

I'll look into the azbasszone for some advice.

Azhunt,

what is the difference between Spiderwire and Spectra? I will say this, after doing some more research, I realized that I did not spool the line on properly. I should have spooled the line in the same direction that it unwrapping off its spool. I did it the old fashion way, tie it on the spool and crank the handle!

Use a 10lb mono backing and get either power pro or mccoys mean green line. spiderwire is crap, it is flat instead of round and will not cast smoothly. Have a shop/store with a automatic winder(spelling) put the line on for you they can get the line tighter and spooled right. you want the line to come off the bulk spool in the same direction it goes on the reel spool (under=under). as for leader use a 20lb flouro leader like pline, super strong and clear under water. if you do it right and fill the spool correctly it should cast a mile.

jake

Trophyhntr, I am not sure what the differences are, I have only used PowerPro and Tuffline. But like I said, the "standard" way most spool up with spectra and mono/fluoro is to put the spectra on first, this gives you the capacity, and then top it off with mono/fluoro, this gives you the presentation, or lack there of when the fish is staring at your bait/lure. Plus the mono/fluoro gives you some stretch for the initial hit.

Use a 10lb mono backing and get either power pro or mccoys mean green line. spiderwire is crap, it is flat instead of round and will not cast smoothly. Have a shop/store with a automatic winder(spelling) put the line on for you they can get the line tighter and spooled right. you want the line to come off the bulk spool in the same direction it goes on the reel spool (under=under). as for leader use a 20lb flouro leader like pline, super strong and clear under water. if you do it right and fill the spool correctly it should cast a mile.

jake

Whe I used to fish a lot more this is exactly how I did it. Always Power pro or Mean Green for braid and only P-line flouroclear for mono, unless I was night fishing, then I used p-line premium. (reactst for black light)