azhuntnut

Remingtion SPS Tactical .308

I need to purchase a new Remington 700 soon. I recently found an SPS Tactical chambered in .308. Has anybody own one of these? If so, can you give me a little feedback on it. I have read that it is a good shooter out of the box, and weighs in at 7.5 pounds. David

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...s-tactical.aspx

post-561-1281637446.jpg

graet gun for out of the box

For short rifles i like smaller calibers, for 30 cal i like hot rods and longer tubes. I think it would be great for shooin pigs in texas off a porch. Im sure i would have to buy one though if it was a good prfor. What are you going to use it for? Im sure they are shooters.

Over the years I have shortened my barrels on my guns, and haven't noticed a huge difference in velocity. It actually helps with vibration in the barrel. I plan on using it to kill animals, long range shooting, and a test bed for some of my product. I will most likely have the barrel threaded for a muzzlebrake, and do a little work on the inside of the stock to stiffen it up a bit. I haven't really read to many bad things about it, plus it looks bada$$. I have a 16in. barreled .223 that shoots lights out at long range, so I don't think the 20 would be to bad for the .308. I was hoping somebody could give me real world feedback on it though. David

Expansion foam works well to stiffen up the stock and get rid of the hollow noise. I did it on my rifle. Just take off the butt pad and clean he inside well with rubbing alcahol or something. Just don't use too much.

I dont like the Hogue stocks. They are better than the tupperware stocks on the Varmint though. Another option is a SPS Varmint. Change the stock out to a B&C, or an HS and you will have a heck of a rifle that is still quite cheap. My buddy has that set up, and we shoot his 308 to 1000yrds with the 208 Amax @ 2635fps. If you look into the ballistics of this load it will surprise the heck out of you. It has more energy, and less drift at 1000yrds than a lot of other bigger rounds. It has 1000flbs @ 1000yrds. Like others have said a 308 and a 20in barrel works great. Another thought is that you could always cut the barrel down to where ever you like it and then you will also get a new crown that will be better than a factory crown.

I forgot to mention that I cannot change out the stock or really do alot of work on the gun. It must stay in the stock form so when I do my testing with my products it will show I was using a factory gun. I am going to try it right out of the box and see what type of results I get using factory ammo. David

Over the years I have shortened my barrels on my guns, and haven't noticed a huge difference in velocity. It actually helps with vibration in the barrel. I plan on using it to kill animals, long range shooting, and a test bed for some of my product. I will most likely have the barrel threaded for a muzzlebrake, and do a little work on the inside of the stock to stiffen it up a bit. I haven't really read to many bad things about it, plus it looks bada$$. I have a 16in. barreled .223 that shoots lights out at long range, so I don't think the 20 would be to bad for the .308. I was hoping somebody could give me real world feedback on it though. David

Buy the newer version, the one pictured runs 589, for 20 dollars more, you can buy the same rifle with the threaded barrel and the new triger that is externally adjustable. I just purchased it last month and it has the green ghillie stock. I just ordered my zeiss and waiting for it to come in to mount it. Im setting mine up for lets say the end of the world type scenerio, but will use it for hunting.

Buy the newer version, the one pictured runs 589, for 20 dollars more, you can buy the same rifle with the threaded barrel and the new triger that is externally adjustable. I just purchased it last month and it has the green ghillie stock. I just ordered my zeiss and waiting for it to come in to mount it. Im setting mine up for lets say the end of the world type scenerio, but will use it for hunting.

I forgot to mention, it has a 1/10 inch twist and this rifle is a military/LE set up with the heavy 20in barrell, i would assume with that twist rate the heavier bullets, 168-180 will perform better at longer distances and less likely to tumble. My friend has the same version you pictured and he loves it, he uses it for elk and deer. He just put a middle end nikon on he tells me he likes it alot.

I own it and I love it, I am currently shooting remington 150grn and getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards, I tried shooting hornady sst 165 grn they just would not group well. Recoil is next to nothing probably due to the large recoil pad. Remington also has a $40 rebate on the SPS so take advantage of it. good luck

I decided to pull the trigger on the SPS Tactical today. The deal was to good to pass up. I tried pretty hard to find the rifle the Buglethemin recommended, but it was on national backorder and I couldn't wait any longer. Cabelas had the gun on sale, plus a 40 dollar rebater. I am taking it out next week to break her in. David