Sign in to follow this  
CHD

Bachelor Bucks

What's the greatest number of bucks that you have seen in a bachelor group? When is the latest time of year that you have seen a bachelor band?

For me, it's 3 bucks and the end of November.

Chris Darnell

I saw 5 bucks on one ridge, all within 100 yards of each other, but that was in mid October. I assume they were together. All were feeding in the same direction and all topped out at the same spot.

The most bucks I've ever seen together was also 3. That was in October. They were all young bucks. Most mature bucks I've seen have been by themselves. Also the most coues deer I've seen together has only been 5.

Edited by 5yearcoueshunter

Last year I saw 6 bucks together during the Nov hunt. This year I saw 5 together during the October hunt. in the group of 5 this year, three were young forked horn bucks.........same with the group of 6 from last year........Allen......

I have seen 3 bucks together fairly often. Almost every hunt. Usually one dominant and 2 spikes or forkies. One time during the rut, we saw a group of 5 bucks. 2 were more mature (4x4 and 4x5 we thought) and were both tending a harem! Really strange that they would put up with each other we thought! The 3 other bucks were smallere, and just a little ways off from the 2 bigger ones. They watched from the distance and sort of sparred with each other while the 2 bigger bucks took care of business.

Really was strange to see during the rut. Anyway, We never got close enough before they got spooky. The smaller bucks got wind of us and the others alerted before we got in range. I was above them above a sheer rock face cliff, at about 350 yards and my shot angle was downhill at about 55 degrees. Not knowing the ballistics rules for shooting downhill, we totally blew it.

Keep them stories coming, it helps me remeber mine! :blink:

Edited by az4life

I think the most I have seen in a group was 7 bucks and it was during a November hunt in the Chiricahuas.

It was in a place that my friend had recommended I hunt and he called it "six buck city" since several years ago when he hunted it there was a group of 6 bucks.

This year, I have only seen small groups of bucks. Usually 2 together.

Like AZ4Life, I have also seen groups of bucks following around a group of does during the rut. When I see this, usually the big buck is just waiting patiently for the does to be ready, while the smaller bucks are more whipped up and chase the does around. My guess is that the big buck will tolerate the smaller ones only while the doe is not ready to breed. Once she is ready, I imagine he will fight off the interlopers. I have also seen single bucks tending single does during the rut.

This year, all I need is to see the right buck during my December hunt :blink:.

Amanda

Amanda

I hope for the "right buck" on my hunt also. I see the weather is supposed to snap a bit colder Tuesday thru Thursday, Just in time for the late rifle hunt! Cold is okay as long as the darn wind stays calm.

What unit are you hunting in, and is it a rifle hunt? I have read a few of your posts saying how you are trying to get an archery buck, but not too many comments on rifle.

Just a few more days til the hunt starts. Yippee :blink:

Several Years ago I also saw 7 together. In fact I watched these bucks for several months before the early season and they seemed to break up into smaller groups about mid August. By the time the season opened the two largest were off by them self.

Guest robert

I have seen as many a 8 bucks in one group, but only seen 5 does together a one time, but I have seen 2 groups of does within 50 yards of eachother. That is wierd? The place I hunt is not easily accessable, you either hike or use horses. Back to the bucks, it was last year on Thanksgiving, this is the latest I have seen bucks together. 1 was a monster 4x5 and one a monster 4x4. The rest were decent 3x3s and forks. I was able to get within 40 yards of them in street clothes till on of the forks smelled me and ran, then they all bedded back down about 200 yards away. This year in aug. in the same place I saw 5 groups of 3 bucks from forks to 3x3s, but no big ones till I got about 2 miles into the wilderness area. then I saw 2 big 4x4s together, and a little further two monsters together. dont know how many points they had but they were huge, all I could see was rack! Too bad I couldnt catch up to them, even just to get a closer look.