Sign in to follow this  
newalleye

bear tanning and taxidermy

Has anyone ever had their black bears tanned - not rug mounted? I'm going out for the NM opener and am looking at this as an option, perhaps something to throw on the back of the couch or hang on the wall. I've got many coyotes/cats/foxse and a bear hide might look good with them. What cuts should be made when skinning a bear for this type of job? Who near Las Cruces or Silver City would be good to take a bear to for fleshing and tanning? What are the costs of this type of product? I'd imagine $200-$300 as bobcats and coyotes are usually $50 - $80. Any suggestions of good bear taxidermists for shoulder mounts and rugs are also welcome.

Thanks in advance. greg

The tannery I use for bears charges $2.75 per lineal inch. They do offer a fleshing service, for $100 extra. The skinning of head and feet would cost additional. They are generally considered the best for bears by most of the best taxidermists in the business. I do know a reputable taxi in Silver City NM. Joel Edwards. He's pricey, his antelope are excellent, not sure about his bears. You'll have to look for yourself and decide. I'm sure for a fee he will prep a bear for the tannery. As for the shoulder mount have you looked at our bears ? If you want more info on the tannery I use for bears give me a call.

Here are a couple of our bears.....

post-3674-1281677658.jpg

post-3674-1281677711_thumb.jpg

post-3674-1281677772.jpg

Thanks for that post. I have heard of Joel but haven't looked at his bears yet. And no, I hadn't looked at your bears - I like them both... that life size mount is fantastic!! If I end up finding a BIG bear I definately know what to do with it.

Thanks for the help.

Those are awesome looking bears.

My dad did that to an elk hide. It works great as a top blanket when it gets REAL cold.

Good luck on your bear hunt

Also I just remembered another guy that I met at the Az. taxidermy show, Fernando Clemente. He's in Las Cruces Nm. He's a great guy, again I haven't seen his bears, but he took best of category gamehead with an impressive oryx trio, at our show this year.

Dale

bear_mount_2.jpg

bear_mount_4.jpg

The above is my spring bear that Lippert Taxidermy in Tucson did. I also have a rug on the wall that they did both are great quality.

Here's another to look at. The mounting and habitat were done by Marc Plunkett. I built the wooden base, which is on wheels, in my shop.

post-82-1281808239_thumb.jpg

The rug on the wall from AZ was done about 45 yrs ago. by Fred Campbell, who is now dead.

As for just tanning a hide, about any taxidermist can take care of it. Just make sure they use a commercial tannery and are not doing it themselves. One of the better tanneries in the West is Southwest Fur Dressers in TX.

BTW, I have two big tanned black bear hides that I now use as decorations because I screwed up in storing them before getting them mounted. So one hangs in a corner and the other is draped over an armchair like a seat cover. Both are to the left in the photo below. I also have a big lion that covers a coffee table in my trophy room for the same reason.

post-82-1281809538.jpg

The biggest of the two BC bears (hanging in left corner in photo above) and the lion (with Randy Epperson).

post-82-1281809105.jpg

post-82-1281808854.jpg

And in the tree....

post-82-1281810263.jpg

Thanks guys - those are some monsters! I won't have to worry about it for at least another month now - struck out during the 1st 2 days of the NM season. Only saw 2 bears and neither were huge. Maybe in September...