bigmanids

First time out!

I am going on my first archery hunt in a couple of weeks, I just had some questions. What would be the some of the mistakes first timers do out there? I have scouted and know about where I want to be, I just don't want to make any mistakes that could have been prevented, also I don't want to be rude to other hunters out there. Any info would be appreciated, Thx

Don't forget your release or your tags. I've done both. Keep the wind in your face.

Dont beat yourself up if things dont go right. Growin up I always heard all these great stories about all these great shots. 5 or 6 years ago my sister missed a bedded coues buck a long ways off. She can shoot too. She got so upset with herself, she thought she let us down. I told her that just because we never talk about the screw ups and misses donesnt mean they don't happen. She just grew up thinking missing or runnin your stuff off rarely happens. It does happen, even if we dont talk about it. Stay after it, it will happen eventually.

1. Buy a rangefinder if you can afford one.

2. Don't take marginal shots if you can.

3. Figure out your maximum range and try not to shoot outside of it.

4. Enjoy the quiet, it is the best thing about bowhunting.

5. Don't hold out for a "trophy" deer on your first try, any deer with a bow is a trophy and a lifetime memory!!

Good luck!!

Here is my advice for spot and stalk archery coues hunting:

1. Don't let the wind get wrong or they will smell you from a quarter mile.

2. Don't make a sound or they will hear you from a quarter mile.

3. Don't move out in the open or they will see you from a quarter mile.

(Even if you do all these things perfectly they might still detect you with their sixth sense)

4. If you do happen to get within range don't miss!

No, seriously some of the most fun I have had hunting is trying to kill a coues spot and stock with my bow. Have tons of patience. A successful stock might take three hours or more. Oh, and invest in some stalking feet. I have done a couple stocks where the last couple hundred yards were in my socks before I invested in stocking feet. I don't advise wearing your socks around in the desert.

Don't rush the final stalk. It can take hours to close the distance to within range for a bow. Good luck and just remember, most people have many, many, many unsuccessful stalks before actually getting one with a bow. It's a great challenge....have fun!

Thanks Everyone for all your information, I really appreciate it :) I am leaving on Thursday evening, Hopefully I come back with some great pics and a story, if not I will be happy just because I was able to get out there and experience something I have been wanting to do for a long time.

"The only way to learn is to do.."

Spot and stalk is the only way I have ever archery hunted and has it's advantages with the main one of being to relocate quickly when necessary.

More then once I have chosen to take my boots off, especially in rocky stuff. A word of caution regarding the stalk. Many years ago I was in 6A near Long Park and the forest floor was wet from rain on the previous evening. I saw a young buck that was with two does moving through the forest slowly feeding and decided to intercept them.

They went behind a small rise between us so I nocked an arrow and stalked up the rise which was about 12-15 feet up hill. After about a dozen steps one of my feet suddenly slipped on some very wet oak leaves. Instinctivly I tried to break my fall with my right hand, still holding the nocked arrow.

Doing so I also relaxed my grip on the riser with my other hand and the bow instantly spun 180 degrees. As I fell forward the broadhead, which was now facing me, passed just over my left collar bone, just missing my neck by about two inches.

I was hunting alone but even if I was with someone there is now way I would have survived that one. Lesson learned.

I hunt alone most of the time and will leave a map of the area I plan on hunting at home and on the dash of the truck with a time and date of when I expect to retun.

Spot and stalk is the only way I have ever archery hunted and has it's advantages with the main one of being to relocate quickly when necessary.

More then once I have chosen to take my boots off, especially in rocky stuff. A word of caution regarding the stalk. Many years ago I was in 6A near Long Park and the forest floor was wet from rain on the previous evening. I saw a young buck that was with two does moving through the forest slowly feeding and decided to intercept them.

They went behind a small rise between us so I nocked an arrow and stalked up the rise which was about 12-15 feet up hill. After about a dozen steps one of my feet suddenly slipped on some very wet oak leaves. Instinctivly I tried to break my fall with my right hand, still holding the nocked arrow.

Doing so I also relaxed my grip on the riser with my other hand and the bow instantly spun 180 degrees. As I fell forward the broadhead, which was now facing me, passed just over my left collar bone, just missing my neck by about two inches.

I was hunting alone but even if I was with someone there is now way I would have survived that one. Lesson learned.

I hunt alone most of the time and will leave a map of the area I plan on hunting at home and on the dash of the truck with a time and date of when I expect to retun.

OH MY!!! Glad you survived that one! WOW!

Depending on how you look at it I either used up one of my nine lives or have been living on borrowed time ever since. :)

Been in a lot of hairy and downright dangerous situations over the years but there has always been some "calculated risk" involved going in. There was definately some divine intervention on that morning. Still trying to figure out what his plan is for me and what my payback is going to be.