Sign in to follow this  
ThomC

a question for you treestand hunters

If you are shooting from an elevated stand or hill (in my case it was the top of the dam of a tank) and you range the distance at say 40 yards. How do you figure how much to hold low?

I bought a treestand in 2002 and am junt NOW using it. When sitting in the stand I ranged my target at 28 yards. While I ranged the target from the ground at the base of the tree and it was 30 yards. All of my shots from the tree stand were about 2 inches low from the tree stand.

Hope tish helps alittle

You can know the best distance to shoot at using math ( trig) , but what has worked best for me is to get up on the roof and fling some arrows. The math part doesn't always seem right and you dont always have time to look at a chart when archery hunting as compared to rifle hunting, I would just practice shooting those angles before the hunt from anything elevated.... Good Luck on your hunts!

Thanks guys for your replys. Good advice. My grandson showed me the formula for a triangle which required me to estimate how high the hill was. So, in my setup I estimated the hill as 15 yards, the shot at 40 yards. I would have to shoot as if it was 37.2 yards. The formula is: a is the estimated height of the hill, b is the distance of the level shot, c is the ranged distance. b= the square root of (c squared minus a squared). That is not what I was expecting. I thought that I would need to hold lower. Well now if a buck would just stand there I am ready. :rolleyes: Good luck to everyone.

My rule of thumb is for a steep downhill shot use a pin less and for a steep uphill use a pin more. So out of a stand steep down hill 45 yard shot I'll use my 35 yard pin. Of course still have to compensate shot placement on the body for the arrow to exit it's proper location from angles and animals position.

The best advice is to take a few shots from your stand or off your roof at different yardages and see.

I take it from your question you had the shot at forty yards, used your forty and blew over his back?