Sign in to follow this  
desertbowhunter

Zen Ray 10x43 ed2

I was just wondering if anyone has ever looked through a pair of the 10x43 ed2 zen rays? I have been reading alot of good reveiws on these but havent seen anything about them on this sight. I was thinking about getting a pair for my girlfreind to use on her up coming hunt.

I have a pair. They are great optics. They are as good as they say they are. I you are ever in the valley ou are more than welcome to look throih mine. I bouht them for a back up pair and i like them a lot.

I've comepared them to leica geovids and vortex razors. They are dedinately in the same leauge opticaly as the nicer glass. People who have looked through them don't believe how much they cost. I always thought nikon monarchs and vortex razors were great for the money. The zens are by far the best bang for the buck, if they hold up. Ill definately abuse/use them. They seem to be built just fine, time will tell. If the geos weren't range finders they would be my primary small pair. I have an old pair of zeiss classics ill comepare them to when i get around to getting them fixed.

Wow! Youngbuck you think they compare to leica geovids :huh: I think Im gonna just order them and see for myself. I have been reading stuff like this on other sights also. Im way curious now.

We had a set at the get together last year in Flagstaff. They are quite good, not quite as good as Leica/Swarovski but a big step up from Nikon Monarch and Vortex Vipers. Not sure how well they will hold up- I think Red Rabbit has a set.

At the Marshall Lake gathering last year, 2009, I brought a pair of 8x43ED. Since then, they have come out with the ED2 with the dielectric prism coating and hydrophobic exterior lens coatings. I have since bought a pair of the 7x36 ED2 for elk hunting and archery hunting in the trees. No complaints so far.

I thought my 8x43EDs were slightly sharper than the Vortex Razor when tested with a resolution chart. The NIkon Monarch was not in the running against either the Zen or Razor. I have not looked through the new Monarchs to see if they have improved.

Hey Catclaw and Red Rabbit, thank you for the replies. I actually went ahead and ordered a pair. When I got them in I was very happy with the look and feel of them. But the real test was yesterday evenig when I took my fiance out to glass for her upcoming deer hunt. Within about 20 minuted she glassed up a muley about 500 yards out,then about 20 minutes later she glassed up a little coues buck bedded under a cholla cactus at about 700 to 800yards out. She was pretty happy with them. At dusk I switched her so I could try them out. Going from a pair of 15x56 swaros to the zen rays wasnt half bad, though I love my 15's I wouldnt mind glassing for a long period of time with the zens. She was very happy with them so thats what really matter. We ended up seeing about 15 deer total.

Glad it worked out for you. The only unknown is the durability.

Good luck

Guys,

What is the consensus on the ED2s after a full season in the field? Are they tried and true? I'm looking for a backup pair of 8x and need to decide between the Zen Ray 8x43 ED2 and the Kowa 8x32 BD. They are priced the same. I really regret selling the Kowa 8x32s I had...but if the Zen Rays are as great as all reports say I'd be willing to try them. Primary use would be hand glassing on stalks, field use for archery 3D shoots, and general hiking.

Glad it worked out for you. The only unknown is the durability.

Good luck