beard hobbs

Unit 36c November

My hunting partner and I have Nov. 36c rifle tags. We do not know anything about this unit. Can someone give us some directions as to where to hunt in this unit and how to access public land? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

BEARD

Lots of public land (or ranches that allow access....) in 36C. I would check-out the AZ G&F website game unit reports on this unit. They have good info regarding the prominent access points.

Other than that, I would say to pick a ranch road from the G&F list, drive west til' the road stops, then hike west from there (which is really kind of like hiking strait up...) to get away from the people & start glassing! :o There are deer in every canyon of the Babos, just pick one and glass, glass, glass....

I love that unit! Good luck!

S.

:)

Hey Beard, try Brown Canyon. You will have to park the truck and walk in. If thats the type of hunting you like, you can't go wrong. Super bucks in this unit but they are hard to find!!!! Get high and set up the tripod and glass, glass, glass. Good luck.

I have the Dec 36C hunt. For those of you that have hunted this alot, would the same hold true for me as well? Get high and glass? Does the rut put deer more in the flats than on the top of the mtns? I am suspecting that movement of the deer due to the rut is my Dec. advantage. Any comments?

36C December tag CNE??? You want my comments??? YOU GOT MY TAG!!!! :lol: Just kidding, not really angry; just jealous.... :)

Advice? That will be tough because unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of hunting down there in December. I archery hunted there last Jan though, and we saw a couple of nice bucks down lower. Didn't have to hump the hills (and I use the term 'hills' VERY loosely...). You're right that the rut will be GREATLY to your advantage.

I would say that you have a GREAT tag. The key is still going to be glass, glass, glass, though. Just find a spot and start scanning the ridges/valleys. You owe it to yourself to get down there a couple of times in early Dec if possible to scout.

Also, both of you owe it to yourselves to try to participate in the unit 36 ranch clean-up on October 22nd. There will be participation from many locals, as well as the WM for the unit. You can get some good info there.... Watch this site for details, as I'm sure Lance will be posting soon.

Good luck!

S.

Stanley, I sympathize with you about me getting "your" tag. Someone else has gotten my tag the last 4 years. :) :P I am scouting the area with my hunting partner in early Dec. before the actual hunt. We plan on hauling in some water and stashing it at our camp site on top of one of the "hills". We both have Swaroskis 15X60 so hopefully we will be able to see many ghost during the hunt. You mentioned that you saw deer lower. Does the rut move deer to lower elevations? I am not an expert on these deer by any means. I guess that I would be more knowledgeable if I had been hunting these last 4 years. :lol:

Guest Ernesto C

CNE ELK,just get to an advantage or high point before sunrise,use your binos and as soon you put your eyes on those swaros you'll see deer specially if you glass the north and northwest of the mountains and if you glass areas full of mesquite trees and ocotillo.I guaranteed you,you'll find deer.

On another note.....you also have my tag :P Thanks and God bless.

Ernesto C.

Never use your scope as a pair of binoculars

Ernesto,

I hope I am worthy of using Stanley's and your tag this Dec. I will let you know if it brought me good luck or if I'll have to give it back to you next year. ;) It has been a while since I've got to use it. My partner and I will be high on the hill at our base camp. We will be looking over a big valley and glassing the North side of a hill at sun up. Hopefully it won't be to long before I bend your tag over a set on nice horns. I promise to send Stanley and you a picture of your tag so you can see that it was put to good use. :P

Seriously, have you hunted 36C much? Any other advice?

Guest Ernesto C

Any other advice?? YES........PLEASE take a Lion tag!! and dont miss,shoot straigth.

I have hunted 36C for many years now.......I know that unit like the palm of my hand.

I know you'll put that tag into a good use but I'm not worry about that...........I think you should be the one getting worry :P cuase I got the November tag for that unit so I'll be sending you a picture of my tag with a big coues with it (hehehe just jocking)

Take care and God bless.

Always take a survival kit with you

Ernesto,

Sounds like I am talking to the Godfather of 36C. I don't know about you knowing this area like the back or your hand...I want to pick your brain. I haven't hunted in this unit for quite some time. Maybe we can PM each other with important details. My approximate area is North of Santa Margarita and South of Brown Canyon. We set up a base camp pretty high. We usually go a day or two before the hunt to get set up. That's why we take water in on our scouting trips. I was last in this area about 6 years ago. Lots of shin diggers and steep mountains. I go 300 lbs. so my progress up the hills is slow. I know it will be worth it.

Guest Ernesto C

No, I'm not the Godfather of 36C not even near. But that is a very good area to hunt and if you hunt the way you are talking you wont have a problem finding a buck. But be carefull..........I think you are hunting the favoryte spot of fellow member Red Rabbit and I dont know if he will like that :rolleyes:

Like I said earlier...just "walk your talk" cuase you are in the right spot.God bless.

Ernesto C

Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot

CNE,

Hope you do well in December. Lots of good spots to go. Last November we went to a new canyon. We were prepared to backpack in, but a road got us to where we needed to camp and could hike an hour in from there.

This November we are unsure of where we will go. We have a lead from a rancher that needs checking out. Oweing to the number of deer we saw in last year's area, we may return there.

I keep hearing of glassing the flats, but seems to me that getting in range and relocating the buck once down in the flats would be difficult.

Ernesto de GF, your monthly payment for 36c access is in the mail.

RR

Monthly payment! :lol:

Now thats funny!

:rolleyes:

Guest Ernesto C

Doug,you hit the nail right on the head.........."relocating the buck once down in the flats will be difficult". Tell me about it......it happened to me last year,too thick and the buck was pushing 110.

The Lord usually pays me with a coues every year B)

Ernesto C

Dont ask yourself what the world needs.Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that.Because what the world needs is people that have come alive.