hello : i was drawn for unit 22 october whitetail hunt i have scouted for 3 weekends and haven't seen much, just a few does and some sign, hiked a few miles and seen sign but old,very few fresh, the area i looked is west of payson north of the doll baby ranch on the border with the wilderness, am i looking in the wrong area?, glassed before sun up and sun down, and have seen much movement, normally i like to stick to an area and get it to know well.maybe because is hot don't see much movement?, but since is early in the season, maybe can scout a different area. do you thing i'm in the wrong area? let me know what you all think.

Thank you.

if I had that tag I'd be around mtn ord - try the north base along Slade creek -think its called baker hill- they like to hide on the desert side above the creek - lots of little draws to check out ! right off the 87 - all the way over towards punkin center rd. Gary

There are deer on and around Ord, but it gets hammered by rifle and bow hunters alike. Mt Ord is almost like a city park with all the hippies and Mnt Bikers up there now.

There are quite a few deer in the area you have already been scouting.

Maximus,

All this ;) :P :lol: really means is that you are in the best unit in the entire state for Coues. For the life of me I don't know why everyone doesn't put in for tags in this pristine unit. You could literally throw a rock and hit a coues. I am really jealous of your tag. This might surprise you, but some hunters are really territorial. Even though they hunt 22 the BEST UNIT in the whole state. They might try to steer you wrong and give you bum info. Don't fall for their tricks. Here is what I would do if I were you.

Get to Payson at 5:00 am. Stake out a diner called Knotty Pine Cafe, Starsky and Hutch style. Watch for muddy 4x4 trucks to pull out. They will have CW stickers, and probably that gay silhouette of elk or deer with the words BAD BOYS. Of coarse they will have Hoyt stickers since they have no taste for bows in that country. If you are real lucky you will see one with a Five finger Death punch sticker. Anyway pick a good truck and follow it. They will be going out to check their camera line. Simply Hit the Gps evertime they get out of the truck. These will all be good places to hunt. Just remember when it is time for the hunt bring all your friends and all their ATVS and RVS so they can all witness the best hunt in Arizona first hand. The best thing no illegals to worry about. Hunting heaven in 22.

Bob

Truthfully, Ord gets hammered. There is an exit sign on the beeline that says Mt Ord. There are cell towers on top and a fire lookout, which means the road to the top is graded and repaired regularly. I've seen Toyota Prius and low rider Honda Civics all the way to the top. Two years ago they had a Mnt Bike race on Ord on opening day of rifle deer. Then there are the pot growers....but that's another story.

Are there deer there? Absolutely. Are there many hunters, tofu eaters, photographers, campers, hikers, runners, etc. Absolutely. If you don't mind the competition, then by all means go for it. I was not trying to steer someone wrong or away.

Maximus,

All this ;) :P :lol: really means is that you are in the best unit in the entire state for Coues. For the life of me I don't know why everyone doesn't put in for tags in this pristine unit. You could literally throw a rock and hit a coues. I am really jealous of your tag. This might surprise you, but some hunters are really territorial. Even though they hunt 22 the BEST UNIT in the whole state. They might try to steer you wrong and give you bum info. Don't fall for their tricks. Here is what I would do if I were you.

Get to Payson at 5:00 am. Stake out a diner called Knotty Pine Cafe, Starsky and Hutch style. Watch for muddy 4x4 trucks to pull out. They will have CW stickers, and probably that gay silhouette of elk or deer with the words BAD BOYS. Of coarse they will have Hoyt stickers since they have no taste for bows in that country. If you are real lucky you will see one with a Five finger Death punch sticker. Anyway pick a good truck and follow it. They will be going out to check their camera line. Simply Hit the Gps evertime they get out of the truck. These will all be good places to hunt. Just remember when it is time for the hunt bring all your friends and all their ATVS and RVS so they can all witness the best hunt in Arizona first hand. The best thing no illegals to worry about. Hunting heaven in 22.

Bob

Bob...Bob...Bob....The only time you talk about 22 is when you are trying to deflect attention form your veryown 33!! :P BTW... There are not any "Gay" BAD BOY stickers in my windows and you will have to Listen for the FFDP music pounding out threw my windows (no sticker,couldn't find a good one at the show)! :rolleyes: ....and only the Tuc-sans shoot Pretty Shite Equipment... no place for 2nd best in the High Country! ...and I never eat at the Notty (well almost never), but you might find B-dog there... :P And that is all there is in 22 these days is parking lots of hunters....more showing up each year.... but they hardly every get many of the good ones... ;) :lol: :P :lol:

Bob I swear I'm only putting in for 33 from now on so I can torment you Tuc-sans! :P :P :lol: :rolleyes:

Thank you everybody, i agree with Desert Bull Mt Ord is crazy with people, i've seen it on opening wekkend there is motorhomes and trailers parked on the rd, i'm trying to get away from people, i'll stick to the area i'm scouting for a few more times and then if not succesful in the middle of september i'll change plans.

thank you for your help, you know how frustrating it is when hike in and scout and don't see much and you start wondering if you are in the wrong spot.

Maximus,

Bob

That there is one of the funniest post I have read.... "Starsky and Hutch"...... funny you tell that story because I know that really happened/s to a well know guide

Redman

if I had that tag I'd be around mtn ord - try the north base along Slade creek -think its called baker hill- they like to hide on the desert side above the creek - lots of little draws to check out ! right off the 87 - all the way over towards punkin center rd. Gary

I was refering to the area along slade creek- if ya hunt low and along the creek - you got to walk it!- only 1 maybe 2 places where atv's have access to the creek !- there is an old road on the flats on the desert side- on top but any traffic pushes the deer towards the creek and Baker hill -

kinds cool ya hunt desert on one side and thicker treees on the north side- it's worth a trip to just see anew area !

I've never taken the rd that goes to the top of mtn Ord ! i bet it is a zoo!

If ya like to hike - take the Banard trail into the Matazals! by Giesla - even try some roads into the south side of Matazals by sunflower.

I taken most of my coues off slade creek!