Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Utah Mountain Goat

I just looked at the draw odds for Utah Mnt goat. I have enough points to get a tag next year, for nanny. It took 7 points last season to be 100% sure of getting a tag. I have 9.

The next closest billy hunt takes 11 points, which would be only 2 years away theoretically, but we all know the points creep up. Do you think I will be chasing that billy tag forever?

Cash them in or wait?

What unit are you looking at. I know that it is not necessarily a hard thing to find a nanny but living here in Utah would be willing to try to help out. If you decide to hold out for the Billy tag how many are ahead of you? My nephew shot a nice 50 inch goat on Box Elder Peak a few years back. It was a great hunt and we saw a lot of goats.

I think I am one point ahead of you....looking forward to chasing goats again with my bow. You've come this far I would hold out (besides, I will tell you where I hunted once I get back)! LOL

I just checked the draw odds for the goat for non resident and there are only a couple of units that bonus points make a difference. One is the Lone Peak unit which I can see from my office and the other is Willard Peak. If you had 9 points going into this years it looks like it would take about 7 years for Lone Peak and only about 2 years for Willard Peak Billy tag. Of course that would be if all non res stay in their same units for application.

I just checked the draw odds for the goat for non resident and there are only a couple of units that bonus points make a difference. One is the Lone Peak unit which I can see from my office and the other is Willard Peak. If you had 9 points going into this years it looks like it would take about 7 years for Lone Peak and only about 2 years for Willard Peak Billy tag. Of course that would be if all non res stay in their same units for application.

Yeah, it's the Willard Peak nanny hunt that took 7 points last year. 11 for the Billy. Everything I have read about the goat hunts is that it's really hard to tell the difference between a billy and a nanny, so I'm thinking what's the difference hanging on my wall?

DB, with 9 points myself, I am in the same position as you and I can honestly say there is not even a little temptation to cash them out on a nannie. I'm holding out! I'm 37 years old now and hopefully will draw a tag in the next 5-7 years or so. Don't get to optimistic on your planning because with the down economy and all I'm sure there are a few guys out there with enough points to draw that are waiting on better financial times to win the tag and hire an outfitter etc. Good luck!

I am curious if anyone knows the deal with the units with the best trophy quality? I've heard Beaver is number one and the Wasatch is second?

Those top units are super long odds, even if you have max points. Like less than 3%, even if you have max points. All it would take is for a couple of hard winters, a disease outbreak, etc and tag numbers could fall and set you back even more. Then again, a series of easy winters and tag numbers could go up.

You guys need to remember that if there are not 2 tags available then the bonus point really does you no good. If there are two tags then one goes to max bonus points and the other goes to the random draw. So many of the units really don't count as far as the points go. You are however correct with the Beaver being number one for most. One of the hardest parts of the hunt is to score the Billy. Especially when you don't look at a lot of Goats. Even when you do there is not a lot of things to compare to. Very fun hunt and usually a person will see a lot of Goats. Another problem is making sure where you shoot it the Billy will not dive off a high cliff. Many people think they will just anchor it where it is and that won't be a problem but they are pretty tough and usually manage to move enough to make the big drop. My nephew's billy was in a long grassy chute and didn't move more than about five feet. Very fun hunt for sure.

I applied for the nanny hunt this year but with only 3 points, to someone who doesn't know much about goats I think it would be just as fun and just as much of a trophy to take a nanny.

That's the way I look at it too. 90 out of 100 people would not be able to tell a nanny from a billy anyhow. To me it's about the adventure of hunting mountain goats, not if the goat has a tallywacker or not.