flyphsr

calling to much

I have read what every one is saying about calling to much, and it makes sense that the elk would get call shy. But I had heard somewere that in pre rutt, calling alot with a sequence of cow calls for twenty or thirty minutes, and then if after 20 minutes, nothing shows, move far enough away to where the calls couldn't be heard then repeat the sequence and if heard most of the time the bull will come in quite. This year looks like the rut won't get started till the end of the hunt and this might be a good thing to try. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it worked, my wife and I have our first bull tags this year.

That sounds like varmint calling for elk! I have never done that and I won't do that. Not saying it won't work, ya never know, but my guess is that the chances are better that you'll push a bunch of elk out of that area if you do that. And as for the rut, they are startin' it up and gettin' it goin now! The only time I call a bunch is when I'm doing a "lost or distressed calf call" and only to bring back spooked cows or to trigger a bulls cows to come to me. Good luck to you and your wife! JIM>

I've done that type of calling before. The only reason I did it was because there was a steep canyon and the heard bull and cows went down it and my buddy that is not in good shape wasn't going down that canyon. Basically we had nothnig to loose. I called crazy for about 10 minutes. My buddies looked at me like I lost my mind. UNTIL the bulls started walking by at less than 20 yards. I forget how many bulls came in but it was a few. The heard bulls stayed with his cows but the little bulls came to investigate.

If I was on my first elk hunt I would try and sit water, salt, trails, ect. That is by far your best shot. Having an elk coming in like that can be a bit tricky to kill. Remember that they are very, very alert and looking at the noise. Pulling back and shooting them can be a challenge at times.

Sitting water really works this time of year. That is why everyone does it. I suppose a rifle and a spotlight works too but they frown on that.

Later,

recurveman

It all depends on the rut. If the rut is slow, usually I'll do some bugles to locate bulls and light cow calls and spot n' stalk. If the bulls are lightin' it up, i'll do some aggressive calling and call more and try to move in. The hyper hot cow call has worked pretty well for me. Good Luck!

I'm from the mind set of locate, and move, or locate and setup with minor calling. Bugling is great, and at night you can really get some bulls pissed off at you while doing it, but during the day I've always had better luck sticking to being on the quiet side.