Sign in to follow this  
Dan

What to Do?

I glassed a mature bear about three weeks ago in the area I was hunting. Unfortunately I was not able to harvest the bear he dissapeared before i was able to get a comfotable shot off. I have hunted the area a total of four days after the fact and have yet to see another bear. The country is rough, thick with alot of scrub and an oak here and there. There is plenty of water around, and a prickly pear crop in the area. I dont know if I should move to another place or stick to the same general area im in. Any thoughts?

Jake

I'm not claiming to be an expert on bear hunting, but this is what I have seen and what I've heard from others. If the prickly pear are ripe, glass there first thing in the AM. You only have a couple hours to glass 'em in the morning and even less time in the evening. Since it is so hot out, they tend to bed down or go into the real thick stuff by 9am or so and don't come out till 5pm or so.

Normally I wouldn't recommend "blind calling", but if glassing doesn't work and you've seen bear in that area before...... try a predator call. Be ready for some action if one is close by. Seriously ......BE READY!!!! I called in several bears with a simple $10 call. Set up outside of that thick scrub and oak where you have good visibility and shooting lanes. You may get lucky and pull one out of there.

If nothing, move on to another spot and start over with glassing. The bears I've seen stick out like a soar thumb through the binos, especially when they are headed to the thick stuff from the prickly pear.

Good luck!

Ditto on Crittergetter. However, I do lots of blind calling, especially if I have fresh sign in an area and know that bears are present. Although the mornings and evenings are the best, I have called a few bears around 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, but those were on cloudy and overcast days. I would continue to work the area especialy if food, cover, and water is available nearby. Even though they can stick out like a sore thumb, they can also be nearly invisible in the thick stuff and you can go days without ever seeing them as they move around in oak and manzanita thickets just feeding away. If I were hunting that spot and had no luck glassing and calling, I'd ramble over to an adjacent canyon and do the same things there, just in case he moved over.

Thank you guys for your advice it is very much appreciated. And Codywhi the area has little to no pressure to answer your question.