tontotom

Leica 1600 Rangefinder?

I have the 1600's and they are pretty cool. They were shipped without the instructions, kinda sucky, but I downloaded a PDF file copy until the manuals are shipped. I had them out yesterday scouting in Unit 33. I ranged things comparing them to my Leica 1200LRF's and my Geovid 10's. The Geovids only range out to 900 yards but with the 1600's I got ranges out to 1700+ off of boulders and 1500+ off of the ground. I haven't set up the ballistic computer yet in it, but what I learned from Leica is that it only applies out to 500 yards because your round has to fit a profile.( you cant enter rifle/bullet data) but if you use a ballistic program you can enter the distance, temp, angle and atmospheric pressure that this sucker displays. Due to Patents held by Leupold and Bushnell there isnt an True Angle Distance feature, just hold over info. What I see is for archery it isnt worth it, however for long distance shooting it is pretty awesome, it gives you all the info you need to enter in your computer except the wind speed to make really long shots. I hope this helps. I ordered mine last December when I heard about them, I was the first on a waiting list. I was disappointed with the angle computer, however now that I have them I love the other features. They are small, light and powerful. Would I buy them again? Yes.

They aren't very many of them for sale yet, but get on a list if you want to spend the bucks.

i edited the post. i had the said the 1200s ranged out to 1700. I meant the 1600s.

It is quite a bit bigger than the newer models that most people make, it isnt really a one handed device. When I have compared all three on the same object it has been off by a couple yards, so I think the accuracy has come along way since it was made. It has never given me any problems. I do like the fact that it uses 9 volt batteries and not the compact CR2 lithium (8-10 bucks a piece)

In short - It isn't a bad range finder, but it is bulkier, heavier, and less accurate than other newer models on the market. Leica makes a good product however their CRF's and LRF's only carry a 2 year warranty, non transferable. The Geovids carry a 5 year. Lots of cash with little backing.

I just looked on Ebay and there are some 800's for sale for around 200, but no bids on them.

My 1600 will arrive later this week from Camera Land. They called me for their first shipment and left me a voicemail. By the time I called back, they were all gone.

Ill post up some range reviews once I get the hang of it. Its replacing my LRF.

Yup, you were right on...

It's not really a one handed device, but I do also find it AWESOME that it takes a 9V battery.

I know it ranges pretty fast but don't have the 1600 to compare it to just yet.

I got my Leica 1600 this week and i think it is amazing. I am getting good and consistant ranges. The hold over program that is built in and good to 500 yards is pretty accurate when compairing to my ballistics program. The holdover is good quick information, and it gives you temp, angle, and pressure after that so you can plug in the information to your PDA. Can't say enough good about the product clear glass and fast response. Was also able to pick up a holder for the unit for my tripod, Jim White is making a few. Homerun product

The CRF from Leica are waterproof, theolder LRF's are not... The Leica guy at WSF/Fnaws told me the processor in the CRF is much faster than the LRF's... The CRF being pocket size is easier to carry also. The LRF 1200 that I have had for years is still going strong, but the new CRF 1600 will be replacing it soon! DD

I have a question about how it reads the temp. Do you know if the thermometer is burried inside the case or does it measure the temp with an infrared censor or something similar.

The reason I ask is because my GPS is supposed to tell me the temp as well; however, it only gives me the temp of my pocket, since thats were it is most of the time.

Thanks,

My understanding is that it works the same as your GPS and to get true ambient temperature it has to be set out away from body heat for several minutes.