azyota

Hoochie Mama

So who else had their stalks blown by guys walking in with a Hoochie Mama? Three different times we were on a herd with great action, Lots of bugling, bulls fighting, it was great!! We passed several smaller bulls. Three if them at 25yds broadside but not the bulls we were looking for. I didn't have a tag, or it wold have been game on for me. Two of the smaller ones were small 6x6 about 300. I would have taken either of them in a heartbeat. Anyway, right when things looked like it was going to go our way, someone would start walking straight into the herd calling with a Hoochie Mama and bust em. Then as the herd is running away, they would go after them just wanking away on the call.... FRUSTRATING!!! And way to train them to be call shy...

I had to come home yesterday, but the guy I was hunting with is sill out till Thursday. I hope it's settles down during the week and some of these guys go home.

All in all I had a great time and saw a ton of elk. Lot's of bulls and some pretty good ones too. A couple of the herds we got into were big, and the fights were nothing short of awesome.

It's been good reading some of the success stories. Good to see some of you guy's got some good ones.

I absolutely hate that stupid thing; I think It worked for about 15mins the first year it came out.

I got lucky and didn't bump into many hunters chasing the same elk i was but talked to a couple that said the same as you - guys just squeezin away on it and screwin up stalks.

"I absolutely hate that stupid thing; I think It worked for about 15mins the first year it can out."

It's a good call and easily implemented into a caller's aresenal of calls. Not to have one would be silly IMHO. Overused by inexperienced callers? - YES!

If you need to use a hoochie mama to communicate with the elk, you should go to Elknut.com and get some of his tapes and learn to use a diaphragm call. Hands free and most natural elk sounds you can produce. Just have to get the hang of it.

Silly not to have one? I think you might have taken that one step too far. I know of lots of guys that are straight elk killers that have probably never touched a hoochie mama. One of these guys NEVER cow calls! To back up what I'm saying, check out the Elk forums on Bowsite and look for a guy named Bigdan from Montana. He's got over 50 bull elk killed and killed 3 P&Y bulls on public land in one year, one of which was a giant AZ bull. I'd like to hear you tell Bigdan he's silly for not hooching with his track record and experience, and see what he has to say!

"I absolutely hate that stupid thing; I think It worked for about 15mins the first year it can out."

It's a good call and easily implemented into a caller's aresenal of calls. Not to have one would be silly IMHO. Overused by inexperienced callers? - YES!

I think calling has it's place, and the hoochie mama is probably a good call if used appropriately. But these clowns walking straight up to the herd while just repeatedly calling is just dumb. Then chasing the herd after they bust them while frantically calling is just stupid...

every tom dick an harry thinks they can call a bull in with a hoochie momma. its such a joke there is no more destinct sound in the woods than a moron using it and it seems like every bull in the woods is getting more and more call wise because of the hoochie momma

simply one of the best elk calls ever made! wouldn't go out looking for elk without one...

I"m not going to disagree, but the more these clowns bust the herd and chase them with the call, the farther the hoochie mama will slide down into your bag of tricks. Except of course on private property high fence hunts. ;)

most people just know enough to be silly with that call.( Leave that call to every body and there mother that can't call with a mouth call and eventually more elk with come in on seasoned callers that know what to pull out of there tackle box))The best place to experiment with that call if you don't know how to use it is in your buddies honey hole not your own LOL :P

Hey Heat - my point is to have it if / when you need it. I don't care how Bigdan chooses to kill elk. If spot & stalk or sitting water is his choice great for him. I would much rather kill a bull after calling him in. To me - calling them in is a lot more exciting. I have a diaphram in my mouth at all times and is my choice of pure sounding elk calls because of how versatile it is. HOWEVER, I also carry 2 other calls and a hoochie mama. I call very little until it's time to work in a bull, but when I need to sound like 4 different elk I only have 1 mouth for multiple calls, but I have 2 hands and 1 isn't being used so yes I will have a squeeze type call. Bulls will become call shy with any call not used sparingly and appropriately.

The problem you describe is not the hoochie mama but the bonehead hunter that has it. I have used the hoochie mama with success but will also use several other types of calls along with it. I think most calls on the market will work if the person using them knows what they are doing. Do they work all the time, of course not. The hoochie mama is a very easy call to use to replicate a cow elk and therefore used by many inexperienced hunters like the ones you describe above.

OVERUSED is a understatement I have seen guys driving around in trucks get out and let out a call with a cigarette in there mouth and after 5 min getting in the car and going.

Like I said before it worked for 15min when it first came out, do you think for a second any good decent bull is coming to that call.

This is just my two pennies but any one that’s using that call is an inexperienced hunter.

If you need to use a hoochie mama to communicate with the elk, you should go to Elknut.com and get some of his tapes and learn to use a diaphragm call. Hands free and most natural elk sounds you can produce. Just have to get the hang of it.

+1