Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

confused about this

ok I am probally gonna be a nussance for a while askin questions so please bear with me ;) i am reading about having to crimp bullets to the case for different applications ( semi-auto, tube fed pump action) but its also saying to crimp for guns with heavy recoil. but it says accuracy can be lost by doing this. I am loading 30-06 springfield do I need to crimp my bullets to the case? I kinda got lost on that one any info from you pro reloader would be a very big help

thanks every one

Daniel

No need to crimp 30-06.

ok I am probally gonna be a nussance for a while askin questions so please bear with me ;)  i am reading about having to crimp bullets to the case for different applications ( semi-auto, tube fed pump action) but its also saying to crimp for guns with heavy recoil. but it says accuracy can be lost by doing this. I am loading 30-06 springfield do I need to crimp my bullets to the case? I kinda got lost on that one any info from you pro reloader would be a very big help

thanks every one

Daniel

not much need to crimp for bolt action ammo. something that has violent recoil may require it. the ammo in the magazine can get the bullets stuffed back into the case from the shells smashing around in the magazine during recoil. i used to have a little trouble with my .264 doing that. but it was always a shell that had been in the magazine for a lot of shots. some pistol ammo needs crimped. but an '06 in a bolt action should be fine without it. you very seldom even see a crimp die for rifle ammo. Lark.

To set the bullet seating die so you do not crimp the neck, place a resized case in the holder, raise the ram, screw down the die till it contacts the case mouth, then back the die off at least one full turn, and set the lock ring.

RCBS makes a video series on how to reload, which may be helpful if you do not have an experienced reloader to guide you. The directions in the Speer manual that came with your kit are pretty good also.

RR

Great tip RR. Been there and done that. Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong!

To set the bullet seating die so you do not crimp the neck, place a resized case in the holder, raise the ram, screw down the die till it contacts the case mouth, then back the die off at least one full turn, and set the lock ring.

RCBS makes a video series on how to reload, which may be helpful if you do not have an experienced reloader to guide you. The directions in the Speer manual that came with your kit are pretty good also.

RR

alrighty then thankyou folks very much for the help. I think I might get that video and watch it. I have been readin alot of books but watchin it might be a little better. again thanks for all your help