Sign in to follow this  
bstpeter

Tripod adapter for rifle

Does anyone have suggestions on adapter for the tripod for rifle use? I made a rest today with a metal U for 4x4, Door & Window Foam tape weather stripping, Duct Tape and a 1/4" nut we will see if it holds up to several shots...lol it's not a bad rest but doesn't support the weight of the rifle do they make them for standard rifles like a model 110 Savage .270???? Any advice would be great. Thanks

I only shot a few times off of a claw. seem to work good.

Here are a few links that other people have been working on. I made one similar to this a few years ago and it works great. looks like it worked great for "SOIHUNT" too,

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...showtopic=21525

I have also used the same V-notch that he used and just screwed it to a adapter plate for my tripod head.

and here is a pretty good discussion about the outdoorsmans rifle rest system. I haven't used this one but it looks slick and it has good reviews so far.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...showtopic=20807

if I can offer any good advice, it seemed to help me a lot if I used a pretty sturdy tripod like my Bogen 190 and not my light weight SLIK sprint pro. (I have had good luck shooting off both the bogen fluid head and the Outdoorsmans pan head if its on the bigger tripod)

hope this helps. good luck.

-sam

Thanks everyone for your replies I'm taking my homemade redneck rest out this weekend if it doesn't survive I may just have to try the claw..

You can get a light weight rubber coated "V" from sportsmans warehouse for about 8.00 or 9.00. I've been using one I got there for a couple years now and it works great. The biggest problem is they don't always have them in stock. I remember seeing one for sale on the Coueswhitetail.com store also. If I remember right, it's made by Jim White and is priced right.

I have a new product I just finished this week that I am calling Rifle Railz. It is going to allow a person to mount there rifle directly to there tripod. It is low profile and stays attached to the gun and looks like it was put on at the factory. The LOC JAW that was made to mount on a Picatinny rail will slide right onto the Rifle Railz and lock onto the tripod. Together they weigh around 5 ounces. I have the parts at my anodizer as I write this and will have pics by Friday. My first run will work on Remington rifles, but I am in the process of getting them ready for most other rifle manufactures. If you want to get a closer look at it, come down to the gun show at the Cardinals stadium and see how well it works. I have included a pic of the LOC JAW attached to a Picatinny rail. It will serve the same function on the Rifle Railz, but on a bolt action rifle. The LOC JAW can be purchased right here from Amanda(coueswhitetail). David

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg