The first deer was shot at 492yrds, Fri morning at 0700. 3X3 with eye gaurds

The second deer was shot at 726yrds, Sun morning at 0745. 3X2 with eye guards

The rifle used was a 338 EDGE. Both 1 shot kills.

DSC03635.jpg

DSC03663.jpg

DSC03665.jpg

DSC03702.jpg

Those are great deer , but man that rifle rocks!! I was watching your posts as you were building that rifle , some people may disagree with those long shots , not me , I think it's special when it all comes together. good job.

My son and I have the end of November hunt , we'll keep you posted.

Thanks mason a. I think a 700-800yrds shot with the Edge is about the same as a 400-500yrds shot with my 7MMRM. The rifle is unreal. Its averaging .270 at 100yrds, and right around 1.95 at 500yrds. I had a guy on another fourm make a commet about how those longrange shot are bad beause the energy is so low. It made me laugh my butt off. 3616ftlbs at 492yrds, and 2948ftlbs at 726yrds will do it I think. It sure did this time. I wonder if his -06 would kill a deer if he put his muzzle up to the fur.

Thanks mason a. I think a 700-800yrds shot with the Edge is about the same as a 400-500yrds shot with my 7MMRM. The rifle is unreal. Its averaging .270 at 100yrds, and right around 1.95 at 500yrds. I had a guy on another fourm make a commet about how those longrange shot are bad beause the energy is so low. It made me laugh my butt off. 3616ftlbs at 492yrds, and 2948ftlbs at 726yrds will do it I think. It sure did this time. I wonder if his -06 would kill a deer if he put his muzzle up to the fur.

Yeah the 338 edge w/ 300gr has the same KE at 1k that my 300RUM w/ 180s does at 500yd. What bullet are you shoting?

300 SMK at 2850fps.

Have you looked at the 208Amax, 210 Berger, or the 220-240 SMK for your RUM. They will do better than a 180gr.

Ive looked at those and 200gr ABs. Im sure they would all work great. Ive been very surprised by A-max's performance on large heavy animals. Ive also seen what VLDs and SMKs can do. The benefits would be marginaly better than how my rifle is performing now. A new bullet isn't gonna get me where I want to be. The next "step up" in performance for where I want to be is a 338 edge. Ive had my mind made up for the past year or so. I'm just trying to convince my wallet to agree. :lol: