Dan

Best time to glass

Went scouting this week-end with my two boys in 24a for a Dec. hunt. Found a couple promising areas( northern section)but only saw a few mullies.(one nice buck) When you glass, when do you see the most whitetails-- in the early am.-- in the late pm-- ever at mid-day? We're going back this week-end to try to locate a few bucks.

Thanks Dan :blink: ;)

This weekend I didn't see any deer before 9am and didn't see any after about 2:30pm. Though it was so bright at night I almost grabbed started to look for a high spot and pull out my glass.

I think once the moon goes away you will have better luck first light and dusk. With the moon I'm all about the middle of the day.

Later,

recurveman

Guest Ernesto C

I think the best time to see deer is really early in the morning from just before sun rise to about 9:00 am with around 8:00 am be the best of the best becuase is usually when deer travel from their feeding spots to their bedding area.

From 3:00 pm to sunset is also excellent time to find/see deer.

Dont overlook the mid-day hours becuase some times deer move to reposition themselves to bed again because the sun is moving on them and they want the shade,also they get up to feed during this time believet or not.

Since you have the December hunt,I recomend you hunt/glass the north-northwest of the hills/mountains.

Maybe you did not see any coues because the time of the year but in December or the colder it gets the better.

Thanks and God bless you and your boys.

Ernesto C

Never trust a safety.Safety is a mechanical device it can fail to work

I've found deer at all times of the day. the biggest deer that i shot i found at 2:00 in the afternoon bedded up with a spike and 2 does.get out there early,glass all day,pack a lunch and go back to the truck in the dark. you'll find out that hard work will pay off when hunting coues deer.

Hunting season is the best time to glass!

I agree that AM and PM are best but I have often found deer midday as Ernesto said. Just stay out as long as you can, and glue the binoculars to your eyes, you will do better in Dec.

24a is a great unit. I will be in 24b just across the highway in Dec also.

Good Luck!

I would agree with glassing all day. The only thing I would add is to take breaks every now and then to let your eyes rest. Even with the best bino's if you glass all day your eyes need a rest.

Noel