Sign in to follow this  
PSEps

2010 coues hunt

Well I just got back from my ML coues hunt here in NM. We had 3 mule deer tags in camp, and one coues tag. Opening day I had two fairly nice bucks at 280 yards. As I was trying to move 30 yards closer, a white toyota 4-runner decided to come down the canyon I told him I would be hunting. Anyways the bucks vanished out of that canyon. An hour or so later I had two little 3 points jump up at 100 yards, but I elected not to shoot. The second day started off by seeing 2 real nice bucks on the ridge behind camp........but ended up being spooked by other hunters. Around 8:15 I spotted a nice 10 point buck running across the canyon at about a half mile away headed our way. I thought for sure I was not going to get a shot. After about 30 seconds he was right under me at 275 still running, so I set up the bi-pod and got ready for the shot. He finally stopped at 290 yards, but couldn't see him through the trees. As soon as he came out he was running again, so I chose to shoot at him at a full run. I shot and he fell, so I reloaded as he was getting up and then he vanished into the trees. Not a minute after he got up I heard a gun shot from where he went. I got sick knowing exactly what had just happened, so I walked over and started tracking him. Got down the hill about 200 yards on his blood trail and found two hunters holding him. They tagged my deer, and packed it off the mountain not even letting me get pictures of it. My buddy went to their camp later that night and got a few pictures and taped it out at 101". My shot had hit right behind the ribs and went into the chest. So after all this I was very very mad, but was determined to get another one. Ended up seeing 4 more bucks, one making the one I shot look like a baby. Saw a total of 12 bucks and about 50 does in four days, but never got another shot.

Wow that is one crappy deal you got there. I hate how some people can call themselves hunters and then tag an obvious freshly wounded buck as thiers. Im sure they heard your shot as well!

I took two of my buddies down south on the leftover ML tag hunt and we got into the muleys pretty good. I watched my buddy sneek within ten yards of a bedded 4x4 28"-30" wide through the binos and him miss when the buck busted.

Then my other buddy was set up across the draw waiting for all this to happen and I told him just wait the buck will stop and give you a shot... He couldnt do it and took a shot while the buck was moving and of course missed. Two bounds later the buck stopped broadside for thirty seconds 160 yards out while they both staired in disbelief.

I was rolling on the ground laughing at them and they're blank expressions on thier face. It was thier first big game hunt so it was a rememberbal one.

thats just bull!! people suck! its a good thing you came out safe without a situation arising. these things make me so mad :angry:. sorry it happened to you.

Kind of reminds me of my friends kid last year he shot a nice 6 pt his first deer ever it ran down the hill and laid down to die in another guys side yard. The guy Who we all knew went out shot it. When my friend and his kid tracked it to to his yard the guy wouldn't even acknowledge that it had been shot or was bleeding the entire way to his yard.....that sucks!!! I wouldn't have been every nice at all your bullet hole your deer it would have dropped even if they shot it they should acknowledge it was hit before I understand why they shot but hate people who take credit for something they didn't do.

Sorry for that happening to you, Technically you reduced it to possession. With a fatal shot. any true hunter would have given up the buck even though they also shot it!

It is amazing that there are such scum bags out there. I can understand if you drew first blood but it was not a fatal hit, but when you obviously had fatally shot it and they went and shot it again and took it, come on. Maybe it will happen to them sometimes, karma sucks!!! ag