Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

Where to hunt for first coues hunt

I am new to coues hunting and am wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a place to start. I was out this weekend in 21, but didn't see a deer. I live in prescott, so I cannot travel to southern Az. Are there any good areas in northern Az?

Here is the link where the distribution map is: Where to Hunt

When you see the state map on that page, click on it and you can see a larger version of it. That will give you some general ideas.

And from that page you can look at the draw odds and success rates, which can also help you figure out the density of deer in a unit. And you can look at the survey data from AZGFD.

Sorry I can't give you better help, but I don't know those northern units very well. Hopefully someone who does will give you some good advice. In the meantime, you can check out the info I mentioned. Like Wyorawhide says, there are some big bucks that come out of 6A.

Amanda

You might try unit 22 south of Payson. Hit some of the slopes at the base of the Mazatzals west of Rye. In 21, how about the Pine Mtn wilderness east of Dugas? Unfortunately, Unit 6a is closed to the archery deer hunt in Dec/Jan.

Doug/Red Rabbit