archeryaz

First Coues Deer Hunt

Hello all. Let me start by telling you, I am the new guy to Coues deer hunting. I was able to win a raffle tag for the San Carlos for 2010. My story started with me getting out of town late (go figure.) The San Carlos is about six hours from my home. I made it to Mesa where I was able to hook up with my close friend Randy (Bowstringmusik) here. Randy was able to give me some much needed supplies for this hunt. I was able to stay the night with Randy and his brother Clay, (Much better than the back seat of my truck). Randy and Clay gave me advice and tactics to hunting these deer. Remember when I said I was new? Well that means I have never even seen one of these beautiful deer. Well I watched every hunting video on this subject Randy had, and took part in a few cold Coors Lights (You know the supplies Randy gave me). I was able to get up around 2:00 am and make the rest of the drive.

I arrived at the San Carlos and was able to meet with Tim Stevens. Tim is the man!! Tim was the one whom had been able to secure the tag for the raffle I had won. Tim was able to show me around the area's I was going to be able to hunt. Tim was verry helpful in telling me about these great deer and how to go about hunting them. Tim gave me my tag and sent me on my way. I then made it back out to the field where I spent the rest of the day glassing. While glassing I had five elk come into the water I was at to get a drink. What a great day. I saw a ton of other game animals while scouting, but no whitetail bucks :( . I then drove to where I had decided to stay of the night. The next morning I was able to meet my cousion, Craig. Craig is a great hunter and one heck of a friend. Craig had made the same drive I had, just to be there with me to help on what was our first Coues Deer hunt. I was a little down, as I had not been able to even find a buck, let alone a 100" deer we had set our sights on for my first Coues.

Craig got me fired up to go and find some deer. We set out and started to check some tanks in the area. When we got to the first tank, we kicked some doe off that were watering. The hunt was starting to look up. On the third tank we checked, we found some more doe. We were having some lunch about 100 yards from the tank, while looking over the country, when a buck showed up to get a drink. At this point I was starting to get the idea this was going to be one heck of a hunt. Craig and I decided to place a ground blind at this tank in hopes of one of those up close and personal archery shots at a great buck. This in itself was a chalange. You know the old saying that has something to do with two monkey's, and a football? Well Craig and I were the two monkey's. After getting the blind up, we wen't back to camp. The night was long, and the fact I was wakeing up every half hour did not help. I am sure everyone on the site has had those night before opening day kind of nights. Well 5:00 am came and Craig and I both could not wait to get out of camp. We made the long drive to where we were going to hunt. We had decided to glass the basin the water was located in hopes of finding a good buck we could put the sneak on. A about 8:30 am with no good buck's being located, we decided to go and sit the blind. We loaded up on water and snacks for the blind, hid the truck in the trees and began to walk to the blind. I had my bow in one hand and my 30-06 on the other shoulder. We made it to the water and I saw a deer about 60 or 70 yards behind the blind, (Late again, the story of my life).

Now here is where things began to get exciting. I dropped down to the ground and set up the bi-pod on my rifle. I was looking through the scope. I told Craig I thought I should shoot this buck. Craig was able to pull out his 15x56's and get a better look. Craig told me he thought the deer was close to 100". I was going to take Craig's word for it and drop the hammer, but Craig would not let me shoot untill I looked through the big glass from myslef. Craig was not going to take the heat for letting me shoot a small deer. I looked at the deer for about 5 secounds and told Craig I was going to shoot this deer. Craig was able to get the camera on the deer and give me the green light. (Not that it mattered much, I was ready to run the red light if need be). I remember looking through the scope and thinking this was going to be a great first buck. I squeezed the trigger and Craig confirmed the hit. Craig and I made our way to where the deer had been standing (310 yards). When we got there I looked to the right about 20 yards and saw the main beam of the deer on the ground. The only thing I could say was "WOW". This had been one of the most exciting hunts I had ever been on. To answer one question "YES" I am hooked on Coues Deer. Craig was able to tape out my deer at camp. He scored 96 1/8 th inches. What a great deer.

There are so many people who helped me on this hunt. I want to send a specail thanks out to a few of them. Jon, thanks for the blind and the tree stands. Randy and Clay. Randy thanks for all of the supplies, Clay thanks for the coffee. Thank both of you guys for all of the support. Tim Stevens, you my friend are the man!! My cousin and friend Craig. With out you buddy this hunt would not have turned out near as good as it did. Last but not least I wan't to thank the Arizona Narcotics Officers Association for the raffle which allowed me to take part in this truly wonderful hunt. Thanks again everyone.

Brandon

post-4939-1289953867_thumb.jpg

post-4939-1289953998_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done! But I think you need to tape him again, I would think that buck is over 100"!

I think it looks like you did a good job on the scoring, but one thing a bunch of folks forget is the 4th mass measurement that is taken in front of the G3 halfway out to the beam tip. That measurement, if missed could make the difference of being under or over 100".

Regardless of what that buck scores, I personally wouldn't care what it scored at all, it's a gorgeous specimen man and a trophy you'll always cherish!!! Great job and huge congrats to you man! JIM>