arizonaelitefreak

24a november hunt 3 for 3! All tagged out

me and my family truly do practice all year long with the anticipation of hunting season, but you dont always control the circumstances of the shot! we were confident of their shots that is why we let them shoot at this range! what I tire of is all the critics instead of just saying congrats on a good hunt! nice trophy ect! but oh well we got er done and me and my family had a great hunt no matter what!

Sorry to be the one to rain on the parade, but taking kids and bangin' away at 500 plus ain't exactly my idea of mentoring...

If you have any business shooting that far, it's a one shot deal.

:lol: Another tuff guy behind the computer. Guess you wouldnt of like to see my 12 year old son plow a 107" coues at 850 yards :o . T E C H N O L O G Y make these shots possible. You keep shooting at coues at 300 yards and I ll keep killing giants out past 500 to 1000 yards. Great job arizonaelitefreak to you and your family. So many jealous people. Get off the computer and start hunting and you ll see times and technology have changed. ;)

:lol: Another tuff guy behind the computer. Guess you wouldnt of like to see my 12 year old son plow a 107" coues at 850 yards :o . T E C H N O L O G Y make these shots possible. You keep shooting at coues at 300 yards and I ll keep killing giants out past 500 to 1000 yards. Great job arizonaelitefreak to you and your family. So many jealous people. Get off the computer and start hunting and you ll see times and technology have changed. ;)

If your son dumped that deer cleanly then I'd say congratulations... If you had to let him shoot 5 times and then track and finish a wounded deer I'd call you a slob.

Re-read my posts.

I shoot long range all the time. Longest personal kill shot I've made was a lion at 977. One sighter on a rock 75 yards to the right and one shot on the lion. Guess what? It was so far across to the other side we had to drive around the next day to try to recover and lost it in the rain to another hunter we knew with dogs. Barnes TSX failed to expand at low velocity and just penciled through. Longest shot on a deer was 371, bedded buck... shot him in the head, cleanly, from a solid prone position, with ONE shot. No lost deer and no follow up shot. My biggest buck was killed at a whopping 100 yards, after a 3 hour stalk. We could have dumped him several times from 350 to 750. Wife's longest shot was 491, 30 degree incline. Again, one shot to the boiler room and the buck was dead before he hit the ground.

We murder block ice from 500 - 1k all the time.

Reading the original post I see 3 misses @ 620. One spine shot @ 530, four misses and four poor hits @ 530. Then several finishing shots and a LOST deer. 530, really being medium range, in that distance past point blank range no matter what you shoot, but not far enough to really require any real long range skill, should be a chip shot for anyone who shoots 'long range'.

Shooting beyond the range your are capable of cleanly killing the animal is WRONG, no matter the range. For some that's 750, some it's 300. I've witnessed some that have NO business shooting past 150 yards. The original poster was clearly shooting beyond his capable range... the combined kill shot ratio is less than 50%...

We had a run in with a chump on our hunt this year that was doing the same thing. Hunted right over the top of us, proceeded to take 14 shots at over 600 yards, and came back with no deer.

What happened to ethics and respect for the deer we hunt? Do ethics and respect change with technology and time too?

Again I will say congrats CJ and to your kids too for getting it done. I will also say it again and again do not post if you are going to post something negetive. I hate reading this crap and do not appreciate this type of talk on the forums. If you want to say something to him send a PM don't post it. Thank you for messing up the thread.

Great Job CJ still good to see good deer come out of that side of mtn. I missed a nice behind cementary in oct. Tell your dad i say hello and uncle john

If your son dumped that deer cleanly then I'd say congratulations... If you had to let him shoot 5 times and then track and finish a wounded deer I'd call you a slob.

Re-read my posts.

I shoot long range all the time. Longest personal kill shot I've made was a lion at 977. One sighter on a rock 75 yards to the right and one shot on the lion. Guess what? It was so far across to the other side we had to drive around the next day to try to recover and lost it in the rain to another hunter we knew with dogs. Barnes TSX failed to expand at low velocity and just penciled through. Longest shot on a deer was 371, bedded buck... shot him in the head, cleanly, from a solid prone position, with ONE shot. No lost deer and no follow up shot. My biggest buck was killed at a whopping 100 yards, after a 3 hour stalk. We could have dumped him several times from 350 to 750. Wife's longest shot was 491, 30 degree incline. Again, one shot to the boiler room and the buck was dead before he hit the ground.

We murder block ice from 500 - 1k all the time.

Reading the original post I see 3 misses @ 620. One spine shot @ 530, four misses and four poor hits @ 530. Then several finishing shots and a LOST deer. 530, really being medium range, in that distance past point blank range no matter what you shoot, but not far enough to really require any real long range skill, should be a chip shot for anyone who shoots 'long range'.

Shooting beyond the range your are capable of cleanly killing the animal is WRONG, no matter the range. For some that's 750, some it's 300. I've witnessed some that have NO business shooting past 150 yards. The original poster was clearly shooting beyond his capable range... the combined kill shot ratio is less than 50%...

We had a run in with a chump on our hunt this year that was doing the same thing. Hunted right over the top of us, proceeded to take 14 shots at over 600 yards, and came back with no deer.

What happened to ethics and respect for the deer we hunt? Do ethics and respect change with technology and time too?

So what I'm gathering from this is you HIT a lion from 977 yards, right? (thats a long shot so right on) but you didnt find it? So you dont know if you killed it, and you went to 'track it' the next day, yet your calling him out for going 3 for 3 on deer? That seems a little back asswards to me dude. If you flat out killed that lion, thats one thing.... And yeah, misses and wounded deer happen. heck, I shoot as much long range stuff (out to 700 yards) as most, and I missed a really nice 100" class deer at 672 this year. Does that make me a bad hunter? No its called adrenaline, buck fever etc. heck, I have only wounded and lost two animals in my life and they happen to have been some of my closest shots. A pig at 22 yards with my bow and a cow elk at about 35 yards with my 30-06. My brother dropped his buck in its tracks at 400 yards, oh yeah, hes 14. Was that wrong of me being his mentor and all?

Edited to add: This post is about a succesful hunt. If you want to bicker with me, or anyone else about anything start a new thread, or better yet PM me. Lets not hijack this succesful hunt thread.

Sorry to be the one to rain on the parade, but taking kids and bangin' away at 500 plus ain't exactly my idea of mentoring...

Boooooo! Bad post.

Cj, you and the kids did wonderful. Congrats on the 3fer!

ok ok ok enuf is enuf of the negative post please! you have already turned it into a bad post so thank you for that! It was an awesome hunt we all killed deer my kids killed their first coues and we had a tremendous time! as clay said i you had something negative to say say it in a pm! Im done with this post as far as negativity! thank you to all the guys out there who sent their congrats to me and the kids! to those that sent negativity :P im done letting you try to ruin a very special moment to any father their kids first kill!!!

Edited to add: This post is about a succesful hunt. If you want to bicker with me, or anyone else about anything start a new thread, or better yet PM me. Lets not hijack this succesful hunt thread.

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!

Medium Range Shooting

Here you go. Been up for several months... post up your experience, hits, and misses.

Drilled the lion, BTW, as called by the spotter through the scope... and how else would I know the TSX didn't expand unless we saw the carcass after it was recovered? I guess I should have posted up a "success story" so I could get some kudos... quit shooting TSXs right after this hunt, BTW.

This thread soured with the first post.

I will also say it again and again do not post if you are going to post about wounding and maiming deer by shooting beyond your ability to cleanly take the animal you pursue. I hate reading this crap and do not appreciate this type of talk on the forums. Thank you for promoting ethical hunting and mentoring our youth.

Fixed it for ya, Clay. ;)

So, at 1000 yards your spotter can guarantee exactly WHERE the bullet hit? Thats a good spotter. I need to get one of them.

So, the lion hunters found the dead lion? Or killed him wounded? Not knowing your bullet, and what it is going to do at 1000 yards... I would call that unethical, what would you call it?

Who are you to be judging anybody how they hunt or shoot? I dont appreciate you ruining a good thread about 2 youth hunters getting their first deer. :angry:

How about the hunter posts up his rifle, scope, load, and method of holding over for the 520 yard shot?

Here or in the other thread I linked will be fine.

So, at 1000 yards your spotter can guarantee exactly WHERE the bullet hit? Thats a good spotter. I need to get one of them.

So, the lion hunters found the dead lion? Or killed him wounded? Not knowing your bullet, and what it is going to do at 1000 yards... I would call that unethical, what would you call it?

Pretty easy to call shots when you can see trace in a spotter on a tripod... you should try it. Shot was confirmed after the lion was recovered.

An "acquaintance" was called with his dogs once I lost the blood in the rain, after tracking just over 100 yards on my hands and knees, which took over an hour. Guy with dogs and a client found, "shot", and tagged the lion. Impact velocity was just over 1500 fps... I called in someone else to find and tag my lion when I realized I had screwed up.... and I did screw up. AMAX or VLD would have been the ticket.