I'm a new subscriber and am looking for any recommendations on 36c in Dec. I've hunted several other units in Dec/Jan over the years with good results, but don't know much about 36c. I've scouted for a couple days in Nov, but access was limited to the Baboquivari range. Not being a resident, its tough to find time to get away for scouting. Anyone know much about hunting the flats in 36c? Most of my experience has been hunting mid to higher mountains for coues. Any info is appreciated.

John

John,

A couple of guys I know have hunted the flats and have seen some big bucks, but none taken. Climb the end of a ridge and glass. Hopefully, the buck will be in shooting range, but if not, it's hard to see them when you get down at eye level.

Otherwise, I'd suggest strapping on the backpack and hike as far up a valley as possible; one hour will leave 90% of the hunters behind you. I know access is limited through a few ranches. The G&F website posts milemarkers, I think, in the unit summaries.

Doug/RedRabbit

The flats is where it is at in that unit. The mountain is probably excellent but I can not stand to drive by all the good country down low in order to stare up at sheer cliffs all day. A bunch of roads go right up to the base of the main mountain in that unit(like Doug said see the Game and Fish website for exact mile markers). Get on the first low hill you can get to and turn around and glass back out towards the freeway. There are bruisers in some of the mesquite washes around there especially down towards the Buenos Aires/Mexican Border, you will just have to pick your way through and not get distracted by the tons of carp you will probably see while glassing the flats :lol: . Good luck

Bret M

hi and low are both good, my fav is any area from santa margarita ranch rd and south to mexico the further south you go the mntns realy peter out and if you are on foot (quads help) access is good to a point that you will not wear your boots out gettin to the desired areas my advice is get as close to mexico and the reservation as possible far s/w corner of the area and find the high ground and be patient and make no move until you have glassed um up. have seen lots of coues while huntin big antlered mulies. try to arrive in yer area mid morning and get a feel for your plan in the a.m. the area got a lot of rain this past monsoon so it should be productive.. hope this helps please follow up w/ any news after your hunt. 3 years ago i ran into some guides from show-low and they exclusively hunt this area for themselves and their clients. that year at their camp in 3 days they had 4 toads. we were camped about 1/4 mile from them, and they were the ones who gave me this info... happy holidays

Guest Guest

Hey all,

Finally back from a great hunt in 36c. Three out of four in our camp took some nice coues bucks. We saw lots of bucks, with several good ones. Lots of mulies too out in the flats. In 5 days, I think I counted 19 bucks, all from small forkies up to at least one 100 inch class buck.... lets just say that he successfully avoided my 117grain Sierra ;). We spiked in for a couple of days and found some really remote and rugged country full of rutting bucks. I finally filled my tag on the 30th with a dandy heavy-horned old 3 point buck at 430 yds. I don't know what he weighed, but this was definitely the largest bodied coues buck I have ever taken (I thought I had a mulie in the backpack!). I can post a photo but not quite sure how to do it???

I still say there's nothing better than chasing coues bucks around in December/January. A great time was had by all :). Again thanks for all your advice and recommendations. Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable hunt and holiday season. Good luck in Jan on the bow hunt.

John

Guest Guest_whitetaildude

For some reason, my last post (above) was under "guest" so I must of done something wrong ;). Like I said, I'm new at this stuff. Anyway that was from me, "whitetaildude".

John

Guest Ernesto C

Hey john congratulations ;) you must email Amanda,she will help you with the postings and your pictures,we can't wait to see them. Thanks.

Ernesto C

John,

You can email me the photos so I can post it in the photo gallery. Or if you need to you can mail them to me through the postal service and I can scan them for you.

Once they are posted in the photo gallery you can make a post here in the discussion forum and link to it so it shows up here too.

Send me an email with what you have and I will get it done for you. amanda@coueswhitetail.com

Congratulations!!!

Amanda