Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Had fun taking an 11 yr old out

A friend of mine (Bonnie) has a daughter named Annie who is really into hunting. She is a squirrel and jackrabbit hunter extraordinaire but this time she had deer and javelina tags. AGFD and SCI put on a great youth camp down in 36 and I can't say enough about Gabe Paz and Bobby Boido and all the work they did for that camp.

The first morning we went to a spot a friend sent me to (thanks Eddy!) and spotted a group of mule deer almost immediately. No bucks in that group. Later we saw three whitetail bucks come across the same slope as if they were running from something. We followed and tried to relocate but never did. We drove to another location and heard a bunch of javelina fighting somewhere below us. We tried to sneak up on them, but somehow they eluded us. It was an exciting day even though we didn't get a shot.

The next day was really windy and we didn't see much at all. But in the evening we found a little spike buck and tried to make a move on it. It was a perfect setup, except the daylight was fading too fast! We got 238 yards across the canyon from the buck, but it was just too dark to shoot by then. But it sure was exciting making her first stalk on a deer! She said later that sneaking on that buck was her favorite part of the hunt.

So the next morning we go into that same spot hoping to find that buck again. As we get to our spot we see two giant jackrabbits hoping around the jeep. It's too dark to shoot, but I ask Annie if she wants to take one as soon as it gets light and she says "YES!". So we start getting her .22 ready while we wait for first light. She eases out of the car and one of the jackrabbits stays nearby and she stalks it and gets a shot. After a couple more shots, the rabbit is done and it's almost as big as she is! Later that morning, we see about 10 whitetail in that little canyon, but no bucks! It was crazy windy and cold, but Annie stuck it out and kept hunting.

Back at camp in the evenings, we enjoyed some great meals provided by Gabe and the crew. One night they had so many dutch oven deserts it was hard to choose!! Everyone of them was great! Apple crisp, s'mores cake, blackberry/peach cobbler, pumpkin desert, and more. We also enjoyed our time around the campfire at night.

Annie is one tough little kid!! She endured all the getting up early, going out in the cold, hiking around, getting stabbed by cactus, and everything else that goes along with hunting. She is a real treat to spend time with.

here are some pics from our adventure:

post-1-1291044946.jpg

Annie spent the entire weekend in her Grong-orange CouesWhitetail.com tshirt, she even slept in it!! Looks good, don't u think?

post-1-1291044964.jpg

The longhorn grill in amado, az...it was all lit-up the night we went into town to get gas. Didn't get a chance to eat there, but hope to someday.

post-1-1291045039_thumb.jpg

Bonnie glassing....

post-1-1291045112.jpg

One of the whitetail does we found had a cholla ball stuck to her nose. I felt really bad for her, but couldn't help her.

post-1-1291045220_thumb.jpg

here is a "find the deer" pic. There is one doe in this photo...where is it?

post-1-1291045331_thumb.jpg

some more digiscoped deer pics:

post-1-1291045402_thumb.jpg

post-1-1291045414_thumb.jpg

And lastly, check out these GIANT barrel cactus we saw!! I can't believe how big these were! Wonder how old they are?

post-1-1291045468.jpg

post-1-1291045462.jpg

Thanks to Annie and Bonnie for a very fun weekend!! I hope we get you a deer next year!

Those are awesome pics Amanda!!!!! Nice running into you down there! It's great that Annie had a great time!

BIG +1 on the comments regarding Gabe, Bobby, and their crew (Steve, Michael, Olga, MANY others, etc....)! They REALLY have the Junior Camps down!! Gabe's green chili, and Olga's salsa were amazing!! ;) Such great hosts!!

S.

:)