Gut Pile

stick & string coues

Well, This year I missed a monster with the smoke stick so I'm gonna try it with the bow. I haven't bow hunted in 5 years or so (Got a plate in my shoulder, I'm 1/2 robot but recovered now) and was wandering if a ground blind is the way to go or still hunting. I'm primarily a still hunter but this is my first time after the ghost with a bow. How do you hunt the rut?

Spot and stalk. Only way to go in my opinion. December and January is an amazing time to be out glassing. Especially if you are planning on focusing on one buck. Just keep watching him and wait for the right opportunity.

This year i think will be a crazy rut due to weather. last year i went looking two weeks after season and thats when they were chasing does so this year i believe will change.

Still Hunting during the rut is tough because they are moving so much.... You will see deer but getting on them is a different story.... I think hunting funnels and water is the way to go if you want to KILL a deer...

J

This year i think will be a crazy rut due to weather. last year i went looking two weeks after season and thats when they were chasing does so this year i believe will change.

I sure hope the ruts on fire this coming season . We never had much going on the first 2 weeks of January 2010.

2009 was great the 1st two weeks in January.

I love hunting the Couse rut. I've had good luck hitting a Grunt tube to bring em' in

If the ruts not on I'll do some spot and stalk along with ground blind sitting.

From what we have seen it is just staring and about ready to take off very early this year GET READY for the opening day in dec. just my 2 cents. My buck and the other buck we killed already stunk and had big necks plus they were already sparring.

Yikes !!

Sounds like the Couse rut will be over with by January 1st if it's fixin to fire up now !

Post rut makes for tough a hunt with most of the bucks laying up to recover.

If it's dry, A blind over water may have to be the strategy.

You guys are so great. I appreciate all the tips and advice. I'll try still hunting and post up on some funnels I think. I hope we get a heavy rut in season. As long as I'm seeing and chasin' them, I'm a happy hunter...... but I got my fingers crossed for that beast that got away. My White Whale :lol: