tontotom

Stainless barrel on blue action?

No Ducts, but with construction, always something unexpected, windy today, come up! lets go coyote huntin, see if your 1000$ cowboy hat will blow across the flats.

Funny thread! Lark is right except I don't drink the Gary Schneider koolaid all the time.

4140 CM steel is far stronger and tougher than 416 SS which is what all rifle barrels except Lothar Walther and they use their own proprietary steel that they call LW50 which means nothing.

Most custom rifles made these days SS barrels because people believe them to be better. They really only have a couple of advantages; they can be left unfinished and are serviceable which saves you money on bluing. The other main point is that there are a lot of makers, Gary Schneider being one (unless he has changed) ONLY use SS for their barrels. Also, some of the bigger and better companies only make their best barrels in SS.

I have bought 3 Schneider barrels in the last 12 months as I believe in supporting the local guys and feel that his are as good as the next guy's button rifled barrels. My two main hunting rifles have a Krieger and a Chanlynn. I have had duds from two of the biggest names in custom barrels so nobody is perfect!

He also does a good job with his fluting. I don't use button rifled barrels on my hunting rifles unless they have at least a #5 contour. I have had better luck with single point cut rifled barrels [Krieger, Pederson, Obermeyer, Rock, Chanlynn et al] in lighter contours than the cut rifled barrels. They seem easier to find loads for and shoot most stuff to the same or similar POI.

Most all of these makers will sell you a barrel that is better than the sum of 90% of the rifles out there so getting worked up over one brand in a lighter barreled hunting rifle is just a feel-good decision and has very little bearing on the final product.

You can use whatever barrel you want and excepting the real inexpensive barrels like Wilson, Adams and Bennet and a few others, your rifle will shoot as good as it possibly can.

I would never buy a rifle action made of 416 SS but there are a lot of them out there. I prefer the MUCH stronger 4140 CM steel actions. With the wonderful coatings we have these days, the anti-corrosion properties of SS are a distant second to any other reason to choose that material.

There will be no problems with the somewhat dissimilar metals screwing a SS tube on a CM action or vice-versa...

Hey Guys

Your right on with the chrome molly action......much more rigid and has less flex than a stainless (of the same diameter and wall thickness). I've had a couple of rifles built on CM actions and had them hard chromed and bead blasted to match the SS krieger barrels....costs a few extra bucks but well worth the money in my opinion.........looks great shoots even better. I use a gunsmith here near me in Wickenburg his name is Bob Brackney. He's well known in bench rest and one of if not the best. Especially for accu-rising remington actions. post-2610-1293497347_thumb.jpg.

Grumpy

www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/gunsmith-arizona-24303/

Actually, the Chrome-moly actions are no stiffer than any other action. They have a higher tensile strength and a greater yield strength but until that point is reached, no stiffer. They are easier to properly heat treat and ultimately stronger. That is their benefit.

Bob Brackney is well regarded by those who know but no too well known. Too bad he's not in Mesa anymore!