Coues 'n' Sheep

It has been bugging me…

My point is I truly believe that that competition brings out the worst in some people making them take those shots they really shouldnt.

True, and I believe that the tape measure and record books are the biggest contributing factor.

To those that have mentioned that an shot over 400 yards is (more or less) lazy, unethical, un-sporting, and so on... I respect your point view. However, you have no real grasp on some of the topography and vegetations that some great trophies live in. Many place I hunt require two people (a spotter and a ground pounder) just to find a downed animal over 200 yds away. Have you ever walked circles around a coues deer,bear, or even a large bull elk for for 30 minutes to an hour saying, "I know it is RIGHT here!"... If you can't find it dead at Point Blank Range, how can you get that close for a clean shot??? My point is there is a time and a place for getting close and there is a time for taking a shot at distance. To say there is only "one way" is a farce.

This X 1,000. great point you beat me to it.

My point is I truly believe that that competition brings out the worst in some people making them take those shots they really shouldnt.

True, and I believe that the tape measure and record books are the biggest contributing factor.

Amen to that! We all like antlers, but hunters who are obsessed over their measurements do some pretty goofy things.

If anyone believes they need to shoot at 800 yards all I have to say is GO ARCHERY HUNTING. I am primarily a bow hunter and when I get to 200 yards the stalk just begins.

To me there is abosolutly zero reason to "have to" shoot beyond 300-400 yards. I think it comes down to being lazy and not wanting to chalenge your hunting abilities. Show me a Rifle hunter at 800 yards and I will show you a Bow hunter at 50. And yes you don't always get "in" for the shot. THATS WHY ITS HUNTING. NOT SHOOTING! I'm happy for this posting. A little less shooting and a lot more hunting people.

Btw, I'm not trying to pick on the Rifle hunters. Bow hunters need to know there limitations too.

You can thank the TV show Best of the West. They show guys packing in thier personal rifles away from the horses ,and then there shooting "The Huskimaw" system rifle. making 600-800 yard shots. How many times did they miss that they didn't shoot. I for one hate shows like that becuase they don't preach that you have to shoot all the time. These guys on the show know that particular rifle inside and out. Thats my 2 cents.

If anyone believes they need to shoot at 800 yards all I have to say is GO ARCHERY HUNTING. I am primarily a bow hunter and when I get to 200 yards the stalk just begins.

To me there is abosolutly zero reason to "have to" shoot beyond 300-400 yards. I think it comes down to being lazy and not wanting to chalenge your hunting abilities. Show me a Rifle hunter at 800 yards and I will show you a Bow hunter at 50. And yes you don't always get "in" for the shot. THATS WHY ITS HUNTING. NOT SHOOTING! I'm happy for this posting. A little less shooting and a lot more hunting people.

Btw, I'm not trying to pick on the Rifle hunters. Bow hunters need to know there limitations too.

We all need to work on the ever changing limits of our abilities and our equipment.

I'll refer you to my paragraph above that desertdog quoted in regaurds to your assumption that 300-400 yards should be a max distance.... I can choose not to hunt a lot of country if I use that range as my "Max". Objectivity is a big part of not only hunting but life… Just because you choose to drive a Chevy and I choose a Dodge or Ford does not really make either of us a better person. How we drive it may define us, however. ;)

We all need to work on the ever changing limits of our abilities and our equipment.

I'll refer you to my paragraph above that desertdog quoted in regaurds to your assumption that 300-400 yards should be a max distance.... I can choose not to hunt a lot of country if I use that range as my "Max". Objectivity is a big part of not only hunting but life… Just because you choose to drive a Chevy and I choose a Dodge or Ford does not really make either of us a better person. How we drive it may define us, however. ;)

This is a great quote first off. I think the argument here, if I'm not mistaken, is not what truck were driving but how we are driving it. My personal opinion is that it is absolutly not necesary to shoot game at extreme distances. I will however agree that it is easier then trying to get closer. Some just choose to work hard for something they will be proud of and some choose to cheat. This was the basis of establishing Fair Chase Hunting. As far as your max distance goes. You can hunt as much country as you want. Get up high and glass as far as you possibly can. But then, get closer. Its called a stalk for those new to the Idea.

I will set up and shoot at 2-300 yds (my confident range) even when I possibly could get closer. Im comfortable / confidant and I will shoot. There is no difference between that scenario and someone else who puts the time and practice in to accurately shoot farther. Just gotta know your limits. I have however, heard of shooting that makes me cringe a little but to each his own.

This is a great quote first off. I think the argument here, if I'm not mistaken, is not what truck were driving but how we are driving it. My personal opinion is that it is absolutly not necesary to shoot game at extreme distances. I will however agree that it is easier then trying to get closer. Some just choose to work hard for something they will be proud of and some choose to cheat. This was the basis of establishing Fair Chase Hunting. As far as your max distance goes. You can hunt as much country as you want. Get up high and glass as far as you possibly can. But then, get closer. Its called a stalk for those new to the Idea.

Sir,

Please let me point out that I love bow hunting as much as rifle hunting... I have taken critters from 12 to 525 yds... I am aware what it takes to get close... and that most places I hunt with one weapon I can't hunt with the other. I'd love to put a rifle of your choice in your hands and turn you loose with a Coues or Bull tag here in several central AZ units....and I'd find you a critter, then say, "There you go, get to 300 yds and shoot him!" First off when we got there you'd have likely said, "How are we gunna see anything in THAT $hit!" and then thought to yourself, 'Self, there is no way I can close the distance unless the critter stands in that one little opening all day'. If I was a desert hunter or open timber hunter I would almost always be able to get closer, but when hunting in 6'-10' tall manzanita, mountain mahogany, and scrub oak I bet money you can't get as close as you think... not to mention how do you walk on air if there is nothing but sheer bluffs on both sides of a canyon? My Point? I'm not wanting to judge you, or your understanding of All hunting situations, or how you hunt them... nor do I expect you to have the ablity to judge me. We are different hunters from different parts of a very diverse state. I respect how you hunt and would only expect the same in return. This thread is not about your (or my) ideals of what is a reasonable shot distance.... It is about how we all need to know what our limitations are and being as ethical as possible in our hunting. If your limitaions are 300-400 yds then I applaud you for knowing that and living by it. Telling me what my limitations are, or should be, is about as bad as you telling me to eat my green beans. I can and have gotten close and shall do so again... but when the day calls for a longer shot than average I'd like to think that I will have the fortitude and confidence to say 'yes' or 'no', on that day, in those conditions. ;)

Sir,

Please let me point out that I love bow hunting as much as rifle hunting... I have taken critters from 12 to 525 yds... I am aware what it takes to get close... and that most places I hunt with one weapon I can't hunt with the other. I'd love to put a rifle of your choice in your hands and turn you loose with a Coues or Bull tag here in several central AZ units....and I'd find you a critter, then say, "There you go, get to 300 yds and shoot him!" First off when we got there you'd have likely said, "How are we gunna see anything in THAT $hit!" and then thought to yourself, 'Self, there is no way I can close the distance unless the critter stands in that one little opening all day'. If I was a desert hunter or open timber hunter I would almost always be able to get closer, but when hunting in 6'-10' tall manzanita, mountain mahogany, and scrub oak I bet money you can't get as close as you think... not to mention how do you walk on air if there is nothing but sheer bluffs on both sides of a canyon? My Point? I'm not wanting to judge you, or your understanding of All hunting situations, or how you hunt them... nor do I expect you to have the ablity to judge me. We are different hunters from different parts of a very diverse state. I respect how you hunt and would only expect the same in return. This thread is not about your (or my) ideals of what is a reasonable shot distance.... It is about how we all need to know what our limitations are and being as ethical as possible in our hunting. If your limitaions are 300-400 yds then I applaud you for knowing that and living by it. Telling me what my limitations are, or should be, is about as bad as you telling me to eat my green beans. I can and have gotten close and shall do so again... but when the day calls for a longer shot than average I'd like to think that I will have the fortitude and confidence to say 'yes' or 'no', on that day, in those conditions. ;)

+1 Words taken right out of my mouth, well said Gino.

Coues hunter,

If I remember right, this thread was suppose to be about being less slobbish and NOT about bowhunting versus rifle hunting versus long range rifle hunting. It is about staying within our own limitations.

If all you want to bow hunt and shoot 20 yards that is your buisness. If someone else wants to rifle hunt or long range rifle hunt that is their buisness. For you to come here and condem them or substandardize them for not doing it your way is just plain chicken $hit.

I harvest game at whatever range I can. I take them at 20 yards and I take them at 1/2 mile. I bow hunt and rifle hunt. I have taken game with a bow and a rifle.

It is called having more than one tool in your tool box. If you dont think shooting 1/2 mile is challenging then I doubt you have never tried it. Go try it before you come here and proclaim those rifle hunters as sub standard hunters. Would you let a plumber or electrician take your hard earned money if he showed up at your house with only one tool in his belt? I know I would'nt.

M

boys, boys, settle down. a hunter should at least support all forms of legal hunting. even if they don't like some kind of hunting, for whatever reason. stick together guys. for a lotta years i was primarily a bow hunter. at least for most stuff. spent a lotta time running hounds too. usually just used a pistola then. now that i'm old and wore out and have a phony right shoulder, bad knees and bad back, it's all rifle hunting anymore. and i do have a rifle that i can shoot a long way with and i can do it. even if it does have a skinny barrel. been thinking about a crossbow tho. anybody hate crossbow hunters? have a william tell fobia? but remember, while we're fighting with each other, the anti's are sneakin' up on us with a big bag o' $h!t and are gonna smack us all with it if we ain't careful. the way to fight "divide and conquer" is to close ranks and don't let em outflank ya. i'm sorta shocked by the anymosity that there seems to be against the long rangers. never thought there were that many folks who felt that way about it. we may not be on kissin' terms with each other, but we're all still in the same foxhole. like it or not. i'll suport anybody that hunts legally, and frankly, can't understand why that is controversial. and fishes legal too. trust me, they are after anglers too. here is a scenario to think about. the nra supports any kind of shooting. any kind of firearm. ANY kind. rifles, pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders, "black" guns, machine guns, anything that burns powder. there are a lot of folks, even shooters, that don't know why anyone would need an "assault" rifle, or high cap mags, or a machine gun, or night vision, etc. and that is a good question that i've asked myself. and it brings the nra all kindsa grief. but they still support it, even tho it would make life easier on em, for awhile. they support all forms of shooting, because if they give up on one group, everyone loses. that group is gone. plus they're gonna be pissed because they got abandoned. and the number of guys that are left is smaller, making it easier for antis to attack them. so they support everyone that shoots. everyone. they stick together. they fight hard for each other. heck, they put W in office when he ran against gore. if you don't know how i'll explain it later. as hunters in general, and Az hunters in particular, we need to all be in the same foxhole and be willing to put up with the smell of everyone else. stick together, no matter what. Lark.

All I'm trying to say is that I choose to hunt a little for my game. Yes you dont always get a shot. Like I said Hunting not Shooting. I have killed coues the past four years with a bow and taken anywhere from 10-20 days to do it. To me its not about getting first glimpse of a buck at 800 yards then sending the lead. I want it to be hard. Everyone obviously is not going to agree with me. But its how I prefer it.

I in no way believe that I understand LR shooting and hunting as much as some of the people on this site. But I have done it. I have a 700 vls in 308 topped with a nightforce 8-32x56. I handload 168 gr Machkings and I have shot multiple Sub 1/4 moa groups with it at 200 yards. As well as shooting it as far as 1000 yards. To me It would be perfectly capable of killing at 750. Under calm conditions, I know that windage is the limiting factor of this gun.

HOWEVER, knowing that it can do it is good enough for me. I would not feel the same pride in killing at a distance immune to the animals senses.

I consider myself a serious hunter, and 80% of the time if I dont come home with an animal, its because I wasnt comfortable in taking shots. When you get enough experience, finding the animal is easier part. Going hoame with an animal you feel good about taking the shot on requires some self resraint.