Sign in to follow this  
desertsheep

MUZZY SUCCESS

Congratulations ds. There doesn't seem to be too many smoke pole hunters in this forum, so good to see you had success with yours. -Shiras

Desertsheep,

Great job! Email me the photo with some more details on the hunt and your name and I can post it in the muzzleloader section of the photogallery. We only have a handful of guys who have been successful with a muzzleloader.

Amanda

Desertsheep,

That's a great muzzleloader buck. Heck, that's a great buck!

Don't you just love that moment after you shoot, and you know there's something you gotta do next, and then you realize that what you need to do is reload, and it'll take at least a few minutes to get 'er done?!

Gets me every time.

I had the muzzle carp hunt in NM in Sept. Me and a buddy saw a big 28" deer running off as we drove from one spot to another. We bailed, cleared the road and I shot as the deer was getting away at about 150 yds. My bullet must of hit a tree right in front of him and turned him 90 degrees. My buddy Jim shoots as he's running broadside and clearly misses. Jim excitedly says, "Re-load, Mike, re-load"! So I hoof it back to the truck, climb in, and start the re-loading process. Jim jumps in the truck, wanting to advance the truck to keep an eye on where the deer is getting off to. He orders, "Get your stuff and get out of the truck"! I'm right in the middle of pouring my 'speed loader' into the barrel, and say, "Jim... I... CANT!!"

All pumped full of adrenaline, Jim bounces out of the truck with his binos and sprints up the road about 70 yds and glues his binos into his eye sockets. I'm sitting in the truck realizing how rediculous we must look and laughing out loud.

I finally finish the loading job, exit the truck, and run 70 yds as fast I can up to Jim and say, "OK JIM, I'M ALL LOADED UP! WHERE"S HE AT??!!

We about busted a gut laughing at ourselves.

Practically harmless.

We followed up on that track just in case I hit him. I didn't.

We finally did get a note worthy buck on the ground on the last day. Maybe I'll mail Amanda and have her post a carp pic.

Mike