Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Drought Continues

Well,

Had a hot streak going of filling 4 tags out of 4 during 2010. I was hoping to have that continue this past few days on my just about annual archery javelina hunt. I guess the hot streak has ended, and the drought on the javis continues.

Javelina are my nemesis when it comes to game animals. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of encounters and have had a few shots, but I have not harvested one. I hit one once and didn't recover it. I've had a tough time finding them most of the time. This year I decided to get a tag for the west side of the state since I live in Yuma, and wasn't sure how much vacation time I would have after my sheep hunt. Normally I would hunt in 33/37B.

This year we decided to try 16A. After a few phone calls and lots of scouting on the web with maps and anything else I could find about the Hualapai's, we went there. Got there opening day and went looking for a place to set up camp. Just as we were leaving town, we saw a herd of pigs right off the side of the road about 100 yards away not more than a mile down the road outside of town. My bow was all packed away and it took me a while to get it unpacked, but my buddy was more or less ready and jumped out and went after the pigs. I saw one going up a small hill that was surrounded mostly by flat ground.

I eventually caught up to my buddy and we were right near the pigs, close enough to hear them sniffing the air, but the cover was too dense to see them. I figured I was close but couldn't tell where they were. Next I hear my buddy shoot and then nothing. I decided to work down the little ridge I was on to see if anything was coming my way after the shot and noticed javi legs under a tree about 15 yards away, but way too thick for a shot. Waiting for the pig to make his next move, I think he winded me and got the heck out of there. I consider us pretty lucky for even having that chance.

That was the last of the javelina we saw in 3 days of hunting. We glassed like crazy and covered lots of country but couldn't get back on those or any other javelina. The last day I finally found an area with obvious new and old sign of them, but by then it was pretty much over and time to pack it up and head on home.

I still have a few more days over the weekends to try it, but won't have time to make it back to the Hualapais. I might try some of the river bottom near me, where I found some (heard them within 100 yards but couldn't see them) a couple of days before Christmas. I figure with a little luck, I might catch them coming back from or in the fields before they make it to the salt cedar infested river bottom so thick you can't even walk through nevermind get a shot with a bow. Recovering one in there might be a challenge as well.

If anyone has any hot tips on the hunt that includes most of the west side of the state, I'm all ears!

Nick

Congratulations to your buddy and good luck on the rest of your hunt. Have you ever tried calling them in with a varmit call? If not I suggest you buy one if you don't already have one. I found one of the best times to use one is right after someone shoots and the heard splits or gets uneasy because they know something is up but can't figure it out. Blow the call as loud as you can and be ready for some quick action. Remember to take the call out of your mouth before you shoot. It hurts like he!! and makes your arrow do funny things. Keep us posted on your hunt. :)

TJ

Actually he shot too high and missed. I guess I left that part out. I have tried the predator call but may need to try it again. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nick