Sign in to follow this  
OpticNerd

Almost got a shot.

Well I got the chance to go out yesterday morning. I got out fairly early but still got beat to the area I wanted to hunt so I back out and drove to a different spot. By the time I got to my new location it was just getting light enough to glass so decided to glass from the truck instead of hiking up to a better vantage point. Well 5 mins of glassing I turned up a lone doe and 5 mins after that I find another. In the next 10 mins I turn up 5 more doe and only 1 bedded buck. It appeared the rut was dead but as soon as the sun started warming up the hills I found two bucks chasing tail. I watched them run around for 15 mins or so when I decided I was going to go after these two bucks. I couldn't tell how big they where but they looked big enough to me. So I started scanning the surround area planning my stalk when I hear a branch break below me. There were a good number of cattle in the area so I figured it was just a cow. Well I was wrong because 10 seconds later I look down below me and I see antlers heading my way. The buck ends up walking broadside just 20 yards infront of me. I look the deer over and I decide he's a definite shooter in my books. Only one problem though... I left my bow in the truck! Long story short I suck! Anyways I was able to video the buck as he walked away from me for about 30 seconds. I did try to go after him but I never saw him again. I was able to get 50 yards from a 2x2 about an hour later but elected not to shoot. Here's the video of the buck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFMulvauKOY

man that was a super nice buck! at least you got to shoot him with the camera so it wasnt a total loss! keep after it you get um! thanks for sharing the video with us!

That is a good buck. My 17 year old son did the same thing yesterday. Walked a little way from the truck to getting a better look at some deer that had dropped below him. While he is looking for them he hears them right below him and they walk past him about 20 yards. He was hunting by himself just outside of town. Lesson learned for him!!

Yeah I think this has happened to more than us than would like to admit. Happened to me about 4 or 5 years ago. As long as you learn from the mistake. Take whatever weapon you have with u always bc it seems to work out that an animal far off always comes into range when you're not prepared. Funny how that happens

Yep pretty dumb mistake and I've done it more then I'd care to admit. This one will definitely bug me for a while. Live and learn I guess hopfully I'll learn my lesson this time around.

I have had the buck there with my bow and then realize my release is in the truck.

That is a good buck. My 17 year old son did the same thing yesterday. Walked a little way from the truck to getting a better look at some deer that had dropped below him. While he is looking for them he hears them right below him and they walk past him about 20 yards. He was hunting by himself just outside of town. Lesson learned for him!!

I believe that. But when James told me the story, it was totally different. He told me that he couldnt get a good shot.